• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfred has bloat/ he's gone

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
He has been quiet for most of the day and not eating as well as he should. As the house had got so hot over night and it affected him so badly the time before we thought it was the same problem and would make a slow recovery. He was the same at teatime, just not quite right and I had a bad feeling about it so made an appointment for the morning so he can have bloods etc done. By midnight his tummy didn't feel quite right. He had infacol and had had his usual metacam.

At four this morning he looked like a beach ball :( I kicked Steve out of bed and we rushed him to emergency vets. It's not looking good. His temp is low. They took his blood glucose and it is 16. They have said that in reality he needs surgical intervention which he won't survive. They said it would be risky on a young healthy bunny but with Alfred being old, a giant, and under weight he wouldn't stand a chance.

I have asked for xrays just to make sure we haven't missed anything and to maybe give us all answers as I am sure there us something else going on.

I couldn't be more pleased with the vet. She knows exactly what she is doing and has been on exotic training courses. So I know of nothing can be done it won't be because of a non savvy vet.

Alfred is such a gentle amazing bunny. I don't think I am going to see him again, but I can't bear the thought of life without him :(

Last edited:
Oh Liz.... ((((((((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))))))))
Sending massive healing vibes for Alfred....praying for him and you :(
((((((((((((((((Alfred))))))))))))))))) xxxx

Thank you.

Xrays showed a large tumour blocking his intestines :( we were left with no option :(

Alfred was just amazing, my heart is broken

Oh Lord, I'm so very sorry... :cry::cry::cry:
Binky free Alfred...you will be deeply missed, sweetheart :cry::cry::cry:

(((((((((Liz)))))))))) sending you huge hugs and thinking of you. xxxx

Thank you. I am just so upset my chest is physically aching :(

The one thing I am so grateful for is that we were able to see an excellent exotics trained vet at 5 in the morning. What were the chances of that?! I know that of anything could have been done for Alfred it would of, so hopefully in time we can gain some comfort from that

Back