• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions about bonding

Alicia

Mama Doe
I found it really difficult to find a male rabbit but I recieved a message on another forum from a lady who runs a rescue, who has a neutered male rabbit. I know a bit about bonding but just want to ask a few questions because I've never bonded rabbits before. When I got Izzy, we took Archie to the rescue and they bonded them, and within half an hour we took them home again together, they got on so well and we never had any problems.

Where's the best place to introduce them? I have some panels that I can attach together (and also make bigger or smaller if needed) is this good? What size is good to start off with? If things go well, at what point can you be sure they have bonded? I'm a bit worried that I'd think everythings fine, then for them to have a really big fight or something.

Definitely neutral area as I'm sure you already know! Think adjustable panels are good because it's less faffing around when you want to change things, my 2 are in a pen made of puppy panels at the moment and I'm gradually expanding it. I'm going really slowly, at least 48hrs between changes because last time I think I went too fast and they had a big fight, fingers crossed things ok so far. Wouldn't the rescue do it for you again? I'd definitely have gone for that if I had the option!

This bunny's from a different rescue to Izzy and Archie and it's quite far away, they've offered to bring him to me :) What do I use to neutralize the hutch?

I've introduced Joey and Izzy to each other twice now and I don't think they like each other much. Joey keeps humping Izzy's face, and Izzy keeps trying to run away from him. She groomed him once but Joey's pulled some of her fur out. I'm not sure what to do, I've seperated them for now because I'm worried they're going to really hurt each other but should I keep them together?

Hmm, it's tricky! I think they do need to do a bit of humping and fur pulling just to establish the hierarchy but it's worrying, particularly when it's wrong way round humping as it can result in injury. If possible I think I'd leave them together but be on standby with a pair of oven gloves or something and just push them gently apart if worried.

I put them together again tonight, Joey is trying to be more dominant and keeps pulling her hair out and Izzy put up with it for a while but then she tried it back and they started fighting and biting each other. I have no idea what to do and I need some help. Izzy does not seem happy with him at all.

I need help, they just keep fighting so I seperated them. I put them back together and they're fine then they fight and circle each other. How can I stop them doing this?

Just need some advice please. Am I meant to leave them together if they fight or seperate them?

If they are really locking on to each other then I'd separate them. I'm no expert having only ever bonded my current pair. I found that I gave them too big a space to bond in which allowed them to set up territories. Bramble bit through 2 pairs of gardening gloves when I had to separate them, but they only had a serious fight once. A bit of fur pulling is normal but if they start to draw blood then they need to be separated. It is a really stressful thing to do. Hope it works out for you.

Back