• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feel horrid, Bobby opened up his castration stitches

madisonjinx

Young Bun
I feel absolutely horrid at the moment, Bobby went in for his neuter on Wednesday and it was such a relief to get him home fine and see him eating. However today on his two day check up the vet saw that he had bitten open one of the suture sites. I can't believe that I never picked up on this :cry:

Bobby is quite the feisty bun and whilst he is happy to follow me round, get cuddles and hop onto my lap, he hates me handling him, so I have to admit because I never once saw him bothering the wound (he is a house rabbit so is around us most of the time) I didn't turn him over to have a proper nose at the wounds. Now the vet has and he needs to be put back under the anesthetic and stitched up again.

I hate the thought of animals being put under, but I will call them after two and find out how he is doing.

I just really feel dreadful at the moment and like I have failed my little one.

I hope his Op goes well.

There are different approaches to castration, with a closed castration skin sutures are not required.

I would make sure the Vet prescribes some anti-inflammatory analgesia for a few days.

Thank you.

He had internal stitches and then skin glue on the outside. He is also on 0.75 mls metacam once per day. Is there any other medication that would be more suitable?

Back