• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Op George

CazandCo

Alpha Buck
Hello, well my George has been home for 24 hours and I can certainly say I am in the dog house :roll:
He came through the op pretty well, was still rather wobbly once he got home. I have fed him as usual but he doesn't seem keen on it. He has eaten a handful of spinach and that's it.

Took him to the vets this aft for his 1st day check up, she seemed a little worried about the eating bit but did say his wound was still really neat and clean. He had a rather damp bum so am guessing it was too painful to reach. I asked her to give him some more pain killers, the did. Metcam and some other one? Is this going to be enough to keep him comfortable over night or should I go back to the vets and ask for some more?

She recommended mushing up his pellets but he doesn't seem keen on it... Hmm... Any suggesting are gladly welcomed

(oh and I wanted to say last time I had my young boys snipped they removed the ball sack but this time the vet left the sack intact? Is that normal?)

Aww hope he is feeling much better now :wave:

Yep leaving the sack there is normal :wave: my Thor managed to tear one of his internal stitches within a few hours of his op and the darn thing filled up like a balloon :shock: it was rather alarming but didn't seem to bother him all that much and he was fine... I think he just likes to be dramatic about these things!!! :roll:

I had one of my boy rabbits neutered and it was 48 hours before he was eating normally and back to his usual self. And it didn't seem to be pain related at all. He was hopping around fine and didn't appear to be in any discomfort, he just wouldn't hardly eat any thing. I think that the problem was the anesthesia from the surgery upsetting his stomach, and it just took a long time for it to finally wear off. He wouldn't touch hay or pellets for the first day, and would only eat a few leafy greens that I had to keep feeding him throughout the 2 days since that was all he would really eat at first. So I would offer some greens and he would eat a little bit, then an hour or two later I would offer him some more, and he would eat a little bit more. I just kept doing that for two days. Into the second day he finally started nibbling on some hay and eventually after the second day he was eating pellets again. I never did have to syringe feed him as he was eating, not normally, but enough that I felt he was ok, but boy was that a stressful two days.

Hope George is much more like his usual self now. Some rabbits bounce back much quicker than others - my Spenser managed to keep up his invalid status for about a week after he was neutered!

George is doing alot better, he isnt jumping up and kiving me kisses yet. He is a little monster though with my wires, i thought i had bunny proofed everything but he has sniffed them out. Zap... :evil:

Seems to be eating alot more hay than before also. He does have a new love, my other half. Sniffing, chin rubs and binkies each time he comes in the living room. I take him back to the vets on friday for his 10 day check up, his wound is looking very neat and tidy still.

Last edited:
Good to see a positive update on George ... even if he has been a bit naughty with the wires.

Back