• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet carrier advice please!

Hesperus

Warren Veteran
I'm thinking of upgrading Ludo's pet carrier, his is getting old and a bit broken (it was second hand!)

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

It needs to be easy to open and not at all stiff in any places as I have a severe hand disability and can't manage anything that would require much strength. It's hard to tell when shopping online so advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd preferably like one that opens in two places (door and roof!) as he's a horror to get in!

I just recommended it the other day on Nessa's thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?396355-Large-carrier-recommendations

But perhaps one of the Ferplast Atlas ones.

The Cabrio is highly recommended on here but I found it quite fiddly and a nuisance and generally hard work. (I have some neurological problems.) Have heard the Cabrio sort of loosens up after a while but the Atlas was much easier for me and also felt a lot sturdier and better made. The best thing was that the Atlas has a door in the roof, rather than the whole top half opening, meaning that it's much harder for the bun to jump out whilst you're closing it. Also the catches on the Cabrio didn't quite line up without jiggling, it took a lot longer to use, and was harder to clean.

However, the Atlas does have some small sliding catches that might be an issue for someone with problems more specifically with hands. Pets at Home sell Ferplast carriers so you could pop into a branch and have a look if you weren't sure. Cheaper to buy online though.

ETA That Pet Planet one looks a fairly similar design to the Ferplast. The Ferplast one was relatively heavy, but it was also one of their larger models. (58cm length I think)

Last edited:
Thank you for this, I'll go to P@H later and look at them and also show my Mum the links, as she's good at working out what I'll manage! :oops:

I really liked the look of the Cabrio but that was the exact concern I had, so I think I'll give it a miss.

I have the one Amy 104 linked too - I like it and think it's exceptional value for money.
The sliding catches on it are really similar to operate to the Ferplast ones, so if you can manage those you should be fine with the Petplanet one too.

Once my cabrio was set up I found it very easy to use . The front door especially is super simple and never stiff . However I do feel that it's heavier than other carriers . I personally don't mind but if you have problems with your hands it's something to think about . Can't remember the exact weight but that's something you might want to compare to others .

I have one of these:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/cat_carriers_kennels/soft_cat_carrier/13398

I really like them because they are easy to get your pet in and out of, and easy to carry (you can use the handles or strap). It is very soft and folds flat for storage.

Unfortunately, fabric carriers aren't really appropriate for rabbits. They can chew their way out in seconds (although cats and dogs also can); and they provide no protection in case of the owner falling over, a dog attacking the carrier, a car crash, etc. I've been in a vets waiting room when a rabbit chewed its way out of a fabric carrier and bunny ended up running all over the room, with 3 dogs barking and lunging at the lead to attack it. It was only the quick actions of the receptionist that saved the bunny, in all honestly. It was chaos and really dangerous for the bunny. Also, because the floor doesn't appear to be solid I'd imagine that a bunny would feel quite scared in comparison to a solid carrier.

Sorry to moan at you, I don't mean to attack you! I've just personally seen how it can go wrong and it's not pleasant :( The owner was holding the carrier at the time so the bunny dropped about 4 foot before even getting to the floor, which was scary. I have no idea what injuries he sustained but I imagine he was injured as he landed basically on his head :(

I like the look of the cabrio, but it weighs over 4kg. My current one is as heavy as I can manage and it's 1.38kg! I'd have one in a shot, if I could manage it but don't think I would!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated :wave:

I like the look of the cabrio, but it weighs over 4kg. My current one is as heavy as I can manage and it's 1.38kg! I'd have one in a shot, if I could manage it but don't think I would!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated :wave:

The cabrio does have a shoulder strap if that'd help at all? I do understand though, I struggle with the cabrio with N&T in, it must be a million times worse if you have problems with your hands already!

Once my cabrio was set up I found it very easy to use . The front door especially is super simple and never stiff . However I do feel that it's heavier than other carriers . I personally don't mind but if you have problems with your hands it's something to think about . Can't remember the exact weight but that's something you might want to compare to others .

The door needed two actions to close it securely, push and then the sneck. If you're slow or fumbly at gripping the latch (and especially if you get so knackered you might rest for a minute before you try) the bun can get out again before you've closed it. The other carrier door was pretty securely closed with one push, unlikely for the bun to push its way out before you've got everything sorted, and it was fine to delay the front catches for a minute or two. If you have a really unruly bunny and need to have both the top and the front open to get it in (front in case it walks in itself and doesn't just grab food and go, top in case you manage to catch it and put it in) the other type was so much easier to close fast. She was often impossible to contain with the Cabrio. It's kind of exhausting just thinking about it!

Anyway, hopefully the Pet Planet one or something will work for the OP.

Back