• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice needed on wild baby cottontails [eyes open]

sorry for cross posting this but i was recommended that the health section would be of better use pretending to the questions i have [wasnt sure how to change forum section in a post or if that even possible] :

hello everyone please let me first thank you for reading my story which goes as follows.

today my mother was redesigning a flower bed, pulling everything out, raking, & shoveling the whole nine yards, unfortunately while doing so a cottontail nest was utterly destroyed. so for the time being we took the four babies along with as much of the natural bedding as possible and place them in a cardboard box until she was done working to prevent any injuries and the like. not sure as if we should attempt to re build the nest we turned to the internet that clearly let us know to bring them back to where they were found. on our way to doing just that we were ecstatic to see a bunny very close to the nest's location so we hurriedly returned the lil guys back outdoors. we went back inside so we didnt scare the possible momma bunny away. after about 5 minutes we went out to check if any change had happened. to our absolute horror we came out to see a large cat pulling a baby out of the nest we quickly shooed it away, but we were too late as she had already killed one baby before we saw the second one being killed itself. we were just crushed, trying to do the best thing and seemingly being punished by doing so.

so what now? we purchased some replacement milk and dropper feed them once already after the sun went down. they have their eyes open so we shouldnt have to coax urination and defection, correct? and i am trying to learn further about the 'night poo' do they produce this themselves or do i get it from another adult rabbit?

any tips / advice greatly welcomed.

big bump, maybe put hand-rearing in your title so people are more inclined to open it? There have been several hand-rears on here recently. Tracy hand reared a wildie, Cookie from a few days old, before his eyes were open i think! Sadly Cookie very suddenly passed away, but she reared him til he was around 5 weeks ish (I'm not very sure!) so you could PM her? her username is literally Tracy :wave:

parsnipbun has also hand reared a hare recently, not sure from what age though! You could PM her as well? :wave:

Last edited:
Back