• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA chap called at my door asking for donations...and......

chelle

Warren Veteran
Asked me what was my favourite animal...cats or dogs?:D

I ummmed and aahed and said..well I have rabbits.
Chatted abit and I explained I would not be able to donate money each month...when Archie came hopping to the front door and turned and jumped and ran back:lol:

The guys was like hey! Can I come in and meet your rabbits...so I said ok...ended up he held Indiana who also came to say hi and asked for a photo! :shock::lol:

I said...so..you work for the RSPCA and have visited other houses who have rabbits...and obviously care about animals...so...

Whats the main diet for a rabbit?:D

He said veges or foliage....

I said yeah alittle...but their main diet is HAY HAY HAY!!! Explaining about their teeth, digestive systems...the difference between pellets & muesli...then i picked up a dropping and explained about them eating poo from their bums!:lol: he looked a little stunned...:lol:

About whereever he goes and see's rabbits -be it zoo'z, homes, pet shops etc he can tell by their poo straight away if their diet is good or not!:lol:

Poor guys...but he said he learnt so much and ....left....

I might have given him abit much info..but I think it gave him food for thought..hopefully he can make a difference to some bunny somewhere!:D

Beware any animal sponser/donation people who come to my door! :lol:

OMG That was a bit risky wasn't it letting a complete stranger into your home like that. He could have pulled a knife on you or anything. I didn't even think the RSPCA worked like that. I got info through the post and set up a DD that way, but never had anyone come to the door. I think you were very lucky actually to not have been harmed or anything.

OMG That was a bit risky wasn't it letting a complete stranger into your home like that. He could have pulled a knife on you or anything. I didn't even think the RSPCA worked like that. I got info through the post and set up a DD that way, but never had anyone come to the door. I think you were very lucky actually to not have been harmed or anything.

yeah...I did think about it...but I just felt right about it...funnily enough - I was not keen to let the electric reading guy in the other day and he got abit snooty with me...its difficult.

Ive often got RSPCA people in our area. I trusted my instinct..and was able to educate someone...so I can see where youre coming from...but shared the story in thought of it being a good gesture;) Thanks for the concern mentioned though...its not something I do readily;)

(40 views and one comment...:shock::?...:D)

Though bearing in mind that he worked for the RSPCA... It's not like some random man came to her doorstep and asked himself in, sure something could have happened, but I'd imagine most RSPCA folks aren't the knife wielding type :lol:

A sweet story, I hope the man can make use of the information to help rabbits. Who knows? He might even adopt one himself ;)

Though bearing in mind that he worked for the RSPCA... It's not like some random man came to her doorstep and asked himself in, sure something could have happened, but I'd imagine most RSPCA folks aren't the knife wielding type :lol:

A sweet story, I hope the man can make use of the information to help rabbits. Who knows? He might even adopt one himself ;)

I guess, just didn't realise the RSPCA collected donations that way. 4 years ago, a seemingly really nice guy came to my house, and had ID badge, paperwork etc, and said they were in the area carrying out free boiler efficiently checks which all seemed perfectly plausible, let him in and was attacked and the 'R' word in my own home, so I guess I'm just overly sensitive and cautious now.

I guess, just didn't realise the RSPCA collected donations that way. 4 years ago, a seemingly really nice guy came to my house, and had ID badge, paperwork etc, and said they were in the area carrying out free boiler efficiently checks which all seemed perfectly plausible, let him in and was attacked and the 'R' word in my own home, so I guess I'm just overly sensitive and cautious now.

That's a perfectly fine reason to be cautious, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way :wave:

Scary he knew so little about rabbits - Archie is still ruling the roost then? ;) :love:

Glad you were able to educate him! :thumb:

thanks for the replies guys...and yeah - I guess not all RSPCA sales people know about animals...however you would think that basic training would be of use for them to be aware of cruelty etc...:?

I can understand why you would be cautious.....it can so easily happen ....Im sorry for what happened to you xxx

Scary he knew so little about rabbits - Archie is still ruling the roost then? ;) :love:

Glad you were able to educate him! :thumb:

Heeeeeeey! Wonderful to hear from you....Archie is doing wonderfully...he is such a joy - he adores the girls...loves free ranging in the garden...and is excellent at coming back in when I call him...he trusts me when he is worried or scared and I absolutely feel so very blessed to have him a part of our family. He is a right gobbler so I have to be careful when he eats his pellets..but he has become a wonderful hay eater and is very happy to have any foliage, veges etc ...he visits me indoors alot and loves the attention....he is such a sweet little chap - adores being stroked and licks you back..he has a wonderful personality.:love:
You might be able to advise....last night...I saw his front paw inside claw has twisted around. It doesnt seem to hurt in any way and yet it seems to be facing up instead of down....I thought I might clip it back a little but should I do anything else? I dont think the vets could do much ...its just facing up:?

He may have worked for the company I did for a while, Home Fundraising. Various charities pay x amount per sign up, and those people who sign up usually donate for 5-10 years, so it works well for the charities. It was interesting when I worked there, I loved it when people brought me in to talk about their animals.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Well done for sharing your knowledge and bunnies with him. :love: :thumb:

ETA: In case you're thinking people were ignoring your thread - I read it yesterday evening but had to go as soon as I had finished so had no time to reply.

wow your brave :shock:, good on sharing advice though
we have had them come here a few times but said we don't donate tot them but prefer to donate to the smaller rescues or smaller rspca rescues, rather then the main rspca, that way we know the money s going to help the cause of animals in need

:shock: Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you RogerRabbit :cry::cry::cry:

thanks...done worry - I wasnt thinking anyone was ignoring me....;)
I hopefully made some difference...and I think it was a fundraiser guy who got money for each sign up...even told him about some local rescues! :lol::wave:

Back