• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis Alert

Snowytoshi

Mama Doe
I just saw this on my Facebook feed and thought that I should post. If this is in the wrong section I'm sorry :oops:

RWAF have reported the following

We've just had a report of a large group f rabbits of various ages in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, all clearly suffering from myxomatosis.

Please ensure your own rabbits are vaccinated against this awful disease.

I'm in Gateshead :( Is there anything more specific?

They're vaccinated and indoors, s'all we can do I suppose but still worrying.

If you have any cats or dogs keep their flea treatment up to date and try and avoid rabbit areas with the dog if possible.

I cant remember when I had Busters jab done! I got him in August and I think I got him done in September but im not 100% Does a few weeks too early matter does anyone know?

The RWAF also posted:
We should explain that the rabbits reported to us were wild rabbits. Sadly they will not survive, nor the dumped pet rabbit that had joined them and that the person who reported this has been trying to catch and save for weeks now

Someone also commented that they thought they had seen a wild rabbit with Myxi in West Sussex so keep an eye out there too.

I cant remember when I had Busters jab done! I got him in August and I think I got him done in September but im not 100% Does a few weeks too early matter does anyone know?

I'm sure a few weeks early will be ok - I think it's happened in a few cases when people have changed over to the combined vac. When you make the appt, just check with the vet.

:shock: That's a bit close for comfort. Newcastle area has always been a bit of a hotspot for myxi. :( I've heard reports from Gateshead quite frequently in the passed few years.

I am so glad I got the stray rabbit caught and vaccinated. I hope she and my buns will be ok...I think I will be fitting nets to the windows of the playhouse!

Bloody myxi. :evil: Only humans could create something so horrible.

If you have any cats or dogs keep their flea treatment up to date and try and avoid rabbit areas with the dog if possible.

I don't, thankfully. It's pretty built up in my area but there is a big park down the street we sometimes walk around.

The rabbits had the combined vacc in January and had a check-up just today actually, so we know we're all hunky dory and healthy.

I'm sure a few weeks early will be ok - I think it's happened in a few cases when people have changed over to the combined vac. When you make the appt, just check with the vet.

Thank you :wave: I will ask, hes due for a manicure and pedicure so I will ask when I ring up for that, would be good to do them both at the same time save him going to the vets twice :D

Back