• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Costs: Dogs & Rabbits Compared?

How would you compare the cost of owning a pair of rabbits in spacious accommodation to a dog?
Just curious about it after reading various posts on threads, articles and videos (on YouTube) suggesting rabbits (a well cared for pair) can cost just as much or even more then a dog?
Obviously it depends on the breed and also the size and age etc. and whether they have healthy problems (dental buns etc.)

Opinions, just interested really :wave:

Last edited:
in experience with rabbits and then other family members who have dogs, then my rabbits have always cost more id say

My 3 dogs cost more than my 5 rabbits. I work out the dogs are around £150 a month, and the rabbits maybe £65.

I have spent far, far more on my rabbits than my dog in vet bills alone. Rosie (my dog) has been to the vets more times this year than she has in her whole life (excluding boosters) :lol: And that is only about 4 times for various minor ailments, which is pretty good for a dog who is nearly 16. :lol:
I'm at the vets about every month on average with my rabbits. :roll:

My rabbits needs new toys, treats, food, litter, 9kg bale of hay, various medications/probiotics etc, every month.

Rosie has 2 tins of food a day with some biscuits mixed in and about 3 chewy treats. She has 2 squeaky toys that she has had for years and 2 beds to sleep in...I can't even remember when we got those! :lol: She has some glucosomine tablets daily, and the most expensive thing she gets is her kidney supplements that cost us a whole of about £17 every few months. :lol:

i feel like im so mean to my bunnies, i hardly spend any money on them :shock: they get through a £16 hay for pets bag every 3 weeks maybe, and i spend about £20 on litter a month and £5 on a bag of food that lasts months...but other than that, nothing! i forage for them now and grow things in the garden so i dont spend money on treats, and they get a portion of veg that we're eating or reduced herbs when i can get them. sometimes i buy them new toys but mostly i rotate.

the dogs get through £100 worth of food a month, plus chews and treats and toys and flea/worm treatment, money for the dog walker or overnight sitter if we go away....not even starting on vet bills! but the bunnies initial setup was expensive, and they just got a new run so i suppose it almost evens out, and mumu cost me a small fortune on vet bills and medication

There are many variations on the cost of dog ownership eg treats & toys; amount / type of food varies depending on size of dog. Some need regular trimming at a groomer. Ours needs winter coats and raincoats. It also depends on holiday boarding, etc. Our dog sometimes goes for daycare, but the rabbits don't as we are never away for 24 hrs, although we may be away during a working day.

I can certainly say that cats are FAR cheaper to keep and less time consuming than rabbits. And that includes all our long haired cats and those with regular medication or special diets. Vaccinations are fairly similar prices, though.

Rabbit costs can be reduced eg.by buying hay in bales instead of small bags, using lino or newspaper on hutch / shed floors instead of a soft litter covering, foraging for fresh greens (or growing your own) rather than buying.

At the moment our dog is the most expensive pet we have, but only because he has outgrown his winter coats, ripped a dew claw (so had both removed) and has chewed the drivers seat in the car. We have also had all the dog proof metal fencing and several crates stolen this year. Hopefully these are one-offs.....

Running a sanctuary, I would say the cats cost the most, then the dogs, then the rabbits.
The horses are very variable and most of ours have behavioural issues rather than health issues and the farrier does them for free.
Livestock animals cost very little, mainly because options are limited rather than the costs being high and with small animals rats cost more than others, mainly because you can consider putting them through ops ( great at recovery) compared to other small animals.

At the moment, Lady the collie is the most expensive pet here, costing about £4.00 a day!

Personally I think they all cost about the same to keep, all need decent food, beds, accessories which need regularly replacing, vaccinations, routine vet care, insurance etc. Then depending on the animals the extent of vet care/costs can differ. I have had dogs that cost very little all the way through their lives and others that cost constantly, the same would really apply to any animal.

I've never owned dogs, but I have family who have dogs who are a lot cheaper than my rabbits.
My two cats cost A LOT less than my rabbits! :)

My rabbits are my most inexpensive pets. :lol: My scale of expense is cat > dog > saltwater fish > bunnies. My cat is a Bengal with special dietary needs, so she costs the most in food alone. She is also very intelligent and goes through lots of toys each month. The main expenses for my dog are probably toys and grooming. The fish go through about $50 (£33) worth of food a month as well. Actually, if I count overall maintenance the fish take the cake. :lol: Between salt, supplements, carbon/GFO (these two especially!), food, and medications they probably outstrip the others by a fair bit. :roll:

The fact that I can buy everything really cheaply in bulk is what keeps the bunny-related expenses down I think. I even buy antibiotics for Poe's pasteurella online in a decent-sized bottle.

Although veterinary care is cheaper in Korea than it is in the States, I will have to say I have probably spent more on my rabbit at the vet in her one year of life than I have on my chocolate lab in the States in her 12 years of life. But, that being said, I had a beagle previously that sadly suffered from cancer and I spent more on him in his 5 years of life than I ever did on any other pet. I think a lot of it boils down to circumstances, but food and toys for rabbits are definitely more (plus the cost to fix the chewing damage they do.)

My dog costs more than my rabbits combined, but that's mainly vets visits and his insurance. On food a lone Jaz costs £40 (inc' treats) and the buns £25 as I buy everything in bulk.

I also think meds and treatments are loads more for a dog, although it depends on size, breed, health, age, pedigree etc.

His neutering was £280 the girls are £70 each.

However the buns will be getting spoiled soon with a huge new housing, so that's a big cost.

In total:
Dog - £200 a month
Cat - £100 a month
Rabbits - £50 a month

My bunny has only cost about £300 so far (shes three) and my parents used to have a dog that got very ill soo with my experience I would say a dog cost more but on the whole it's probably going to be rabbits :D

Back