• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What's good for the liver please? And liver failure question.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Food wise that is (not sure where this thread should be).

I know milk thistle is. Can I give that in the powdered form you can get from like Holland and Barratts?

What else?

Sky is on his last legs, the steroids seem to have beaten him before his cancer.

ETA- and what can I expect from Sky as his liver deteriorates more? What symptoms will I see? I've looked on google but would prefer to know what people's experiences were.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear about Sky. :cry: Sorry I cannot be of any help but hope someone comes on soon who can.

Hope you are alright. xxx

:cry: what about milk thistle tincture? You can often get that in the Bioforce range from independent health shops.

Hi Sky-O I cant pm you but I think the thread is ok here or I can move to diet if you would prefer? So sorry to hear Sky is struggling

Hi Sky,

Sorry to hear this.
You have been a help to me in the past.

My bunny Alice had liver problems as a result of steroids due to a chronic gastric disorder.
I gave her milk thistle pellets from Galen's Garden shop - a teaspoon a day in with her food and I do think they may have helped her.
She had a fair quality of life for much longer than anticipated.

Best wishes,
Nicki

I'm not sure anything I order off the web will get here in time :-( but I did find the stuff on galens garden. Thanks guys.

I have used this before

http://www.naturesense.co.uk/nature...xtract-30ml-good-for-your-liver/prod_207.html

The symptoms I noted were increased drinking and urination, significant rapid weightloss, lethargy and in the very final stages anorexia and ascites (accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity), so the Rabbit had a pot belly appearance.

One Rabbit also showed signs of jaundice- whites of eyes looked yellow as did his nostrils (he had light skin colouring)

I am so sorry to hear that Sky is now very poorly. I realise how special he is to you xx

I am sorry I can't be more help, but the end stages we have seen are severe weight loss despite a voracious appetite followed by confusion/neurological symptoms, possible coma and sudden death if vet intervention does not come first :(

Thank you.

Mum's found this for cats and dogs, would this be usable?

I don't support Seapets but will do anything for Sky.

Just yesterday I've noticed his belly change shape, which I guess is the fluid. But he is bright and lively and stuffing his face. So I just watch and wait but I'm so scared of him dying in a distressing way because then I've let him down and he's suffered.

:( I am so sorry to hear Sky is so poorly and wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.

One of my bun friends was advised by Molly Varga to get some milk thistle from the health shop (her bun has thymoma recently diagnosed). I will direct her to your link to let you know which one it is.

Hi. Hugs to you and Sky. Sooty was diagnosed with Thymoma mid june. He is doing really well so far. The bloods showed that his liver was not quite right and he is on the milkthistle capsules normal strength from holland and Barrett. I break one open and dissolve in ten mls water. I syringe 1ml twice a day. I have also been in touch with deborah miles hoyt in the states.she is bunny herbalist. She emailed me recipe for tincture and I took it to local herbalist to make up. Her email is hhherbals@aol.com
Sooty is also on a berry mix. I blend blackberries. Blueberries and raspberries with probiotics . They are good antioxidants.
Thinking of you

Im sorry I wont follow the post as I get too upset. I lost a 9yr and a 2yr old within 2 weeks and sooty diagnosed in the middle. Now millie may have cancer.please pm if you need more info xx

Thank you.

With him ready showing outward signs will it be imminent before the neurological signs start?

Is it too late to use liver supportive supplements?

I can see I'm his eyes today he is not the bunny he was but he's still very lively and cheeky, he just seems tired.

Is this it?

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this :( When Dudley had a suspected liver problem, I was recommended milk thistle capsules broken open and stirred into lactulose solution. As it happens, it turned out to be something else so I'm afraid I don't recall the specific doses or anything, but that's definitely what I was advised by a bunny savvy vet.

Hope Sky is ok, and you too x x x

I'm gutted for you that he is so poorly. I wish I had something to offer to help, but I want you to know that you and Sky are in my thoughts and I will pray that if he does pass suddenly it will be peaceful. Hopefully though he has more quality time with you yet.
Sending (((((((((Huge comforting hugs)))))))))) and thinking of you both. xxxx :cry:

:cry: I'm so so sorry to see this :cry: sending massive hugs and mega vibes for you and your special boy. I'll be thinking of you xxx :cry:

Back