• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stained feet?

lilsouris

Warren Scout
Had our bunnies for nearly two weeks now and we're in the process of trying to little train them (without much luck I might add) So they are going in the corner of their cage (wee, they still poo everywhere) and we clean that corner out twice a day but I've noticed that ever since we've got them the bottom of feet looked to be stained with i'm guessing wee. They've been like this ever since we've had them and I'm guessing as they were abandoned their conditions where they were may not have been the best hence the staining. Obviously it doesn't seem to be bothering them and they're grooming themselves as normal.

So I'm just wondering whether i should try to be cleaning there feet? I've held off handling them too much so as not to stress them out but there getting used to me now so I was wondering i i should try and bathe them? I'm scared to however as I'm not sure how'd they would react and whether water is even good for them bathing wise.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

I had this problem recently with my little one because she's white (and I left her litter corner too long :oops:) her back paws were slightly stained. I got a damp face cloth and gave them a good gentle rub it helped but she cleaned the worst her self

Some bunnies naturally have a different colour fur on the bottom of their feed than the rest of their body. Can you show us a pic?

Most rabbits have stained feet but it doesn't do them any harm so don't worry about it :) If they feel damp with wee you can use cornflour to soak up the moisture

Ludo occasionally has this problem. I just feel it to see if it's wet, and if it is I get as much off as I can with clean kitchen roll.

A healthy bunny should be able to groom it off in time.

It's best not to bathe rabbits unless absolute necessary and the stain won't do any harm. It's likely their feet are clean (they are good at grooming), just the fur has been dyed so it won't wash out even if you try. However they'll replace the fur at their next moult. Some bunnies also have greyish yellow tinge naturally.

Adding extra litter trays with absorbent litter eg paper based cat litter may help in future.

Back