• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Ear Issues

i was checking skyes ears when i noticed some brown blotches that looked to be liked birth marks but they were flaking away and i was wondering what it is i hope it isnt anything bad

Last edited:
It sounds like it could be canker/ear mites, they can cause what looks like flaky scabs where bunnies scratch. The vet should be able to give you some drops to treat it :)

The mites are tiny, often you don't see them just the effect they have. It's hard to say without seeing as people describe things different ways :) If you've caught it early it won't look like the really crusty photos on medical articles.

1001709_10201318565501849_1751983768_n.jpg

its in both ears

Hmmm, there isn't much change to normal is there. It could be ear mites and you've just spotted it in very early stages. Just enough that they are irritating the skin and it's going a bit flaky.

It's a while since I've seen mites though, so perhaps someone else can add an opinion.

If it's mites then ear drops will fix it. I'm not sure if you can get those over the counter or you'll need a vet app.

I think that is for cleaning out wax (side effect of ear mites) rather than killing the mites themselves.

That's sounds like a good idea, they might suggest popping her in for the nurse to look at. If it is mites then you've found it very early, well done, so you'll have stopped it getting to the stage where it's painful. At the moment at worst it will just be a little itchy.

my Smudge had exactly the same, He is a minilop...

Both he and Wllow were treated with Ivermectin drops on their necks and Smudge had eardrops called Canaural . 3 drops in each ear for 2 months, his were murder to treat.... I have noticed that the flakes that he had in his ears have left marks on his skin....

Better get it treated asap ... It can be really irritating for them...

Fee x

Back