• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Alfie lonely?

Sammyp

Young Bun
I have 3 male rabbits. One is 10 years, one is 6 - these two have never got on and when introduced resulted in a scrap and me getting bitten trying to split them up...
I have a new baby (Alfie) who is now 17 weeks old. He's being neutered tomorrow and after reading some of the stories on this forum I realise that many people think its nicer to keep bunnies together...
Alfie is very scatty but sweet just very nervous and doesn't like handling at all!
I was wondering if I got a female if it would make him happier, or is it likely to mean that he won't be interested in me anymore?
I know it sounds kinda selfish and although I like the idea of getting him a friend, I don't want to lose his affections. My others are so sweet and so loving towards me, I kinda want Alfie to be the same.
What do you think?
I've never tried this before except with my old boys and it really put me off, but now I have a new baby I feel like if I'm going to try its better to think about it sooner rather than later?
Any advice would be great :D

I think, wherever possible, you should definitely get your rabbit a companion. In the wild, rabbits live in warrens where there can be hundreds of rabbits. Like us, they are really social and even though they love us, they need another rabbit to talk to and snuggle with. I think with nearly every bunny, it would definitely be happier after a successful bonding xxx :love:
It is better to do this sooner rather than later,although you will have to wait a period of time after neutering, just because they will tolerate each other better when younger, but you should get advice from your vet and whoever you will get the next rabbit from.
it doesn't matter if he's nervous, all bunnies are, and he'll grow more confident.
A female bunny would be better, yes. :love:
No! Your bunny will not love you less at all! If you still interact with them, it's likely he'll love you even more because you gave him a companion, and he'll probably be more confident and loving. Don't worry-everyone is scared of this, but he will not stop loving you e.v.e.r.
In my opinion, i think you should really do this and make your bunnies life happier!!!! :love:

Thank you for the advice! I really wanna try it :love:
I will speak to the vet tomorrow and go from there ;)
You've been really helpful :thumb:

Would he bond with one of your other males if they've been neutered? Sometimes it's a case of just not liking a personality.

I'm not sure, maybe... I could try with max, he's 6 years old, my old boy is blind and not so well (he's 10) so best not to bother him with a baby :D

I guess I just like the idea of having a bunny near his age so they can grow up together and be lifelong friends.... :love:

Alfie's been neutered today and I have just got him home so he's feeling a bit sorry for himself :shock:

Trouble is I have no idea where to start with this... Any one done this before and got any advice? :D

Wait at least 6 weeks before bonding. Meanwhile have a look at rescues near you for neutered females.

There's also no guarantee that rabbits you get at similar ages will both die at similar ages. If he can bond with Max, that'll make two lonely bunnies happy.

Thank you for that, I will wait a couple of months and see how they get on... Unless of course there's a little girlie somewhere near me looking for a home... :thumb:

Back