• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We've reserved a hamster! UD he's here! Photos!!! UD2 Name!!

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
After buying a cage in May we've finally reserved a little boy! Picking him up tomorrow! I can't tell anyone I know yet because it's a secret so I need to shout and scream with excitement on here!!!!

He's a cutie, he climbed all over my hands, so friendly :love:

Had a name planned for him... But he suits his current name too... We've not decided which name we'll go for yet!

Pictures and name decision tomorrow!!!!

Eeeeeeee!!!!!!

Last edited:
I literally want to go to bed now so tomorrow will feel as if it comes quicker :lol:

Finished the cage set up now :) I'll gradually add more toys, and want to move the little houses around but one has to be next to the ledge for now as he's a bit small to jump up without a step up.

I don't know how old the little guy is, he quite small so he's either young or just a small Syrian, it will be interesting to see if he grows!

I'll put cage pictures up soon :D

Cage:

7d3c472a0ccc7d3049cd9d1f1071eea4_zpsdbc7bcb4.jpg

d379ea933dbd6d54be83f57cea37de91_zpsa5ab587b.jpg

cebd631bd093c2a43b41c99b80df1867_zpsbf2df153.jpg

9f4310a65973c962971427e75bb976dd_zpsf60b2c71.jpg

I bought the ladder for him to climb to the top level on and then decided he might fall through the rungs until he's used to it, and who knows how long that would be, so I used some string to make the mesh so he can climb easily and safely, it took AGES! So many knots so that the ropes won't slip and change position as they get used! Lets hope it works!

Love it :D I've moved the one shelf out and put a big hammock there as Apollo was missing it :lol: he's been sleeping on it bless him.. I used the massive ramp for about a week, takes up sooo much room.. I use one of those long bendy bridges now that hook onto the bars:)

Lucky hammy:love: I do love the Alexander, I'm cleaning Apollo out this weekend and doing a full change onto Fitch, will see if he can flatten that down like the megazorb :twisted: :lol: maybe the base will stay full then..!

What a great cage! My Syrian Bear lives in a mamble cage and everyone laughs when they see how big it is :( people are so annoying. He loves his cage! Your hammy will too!

What a great cage! My Syrian Bear lives in a mamble cage and everyone laughs when they see how big it is :( people are so annoying. He loves his cage! Your hammy will too!

Ahhhh poo to them! When the sky man came to sort the new box out, he did a double take on Poppy (who free ranges the bedroom) and my dwarfies zoozone 2 (sold as a rabbit cage..) :lol:

When the Alexander arrived we all did have a laugh about how big it was, out of shock though, I was expecting something smaller than that, but bigger than the usual pet shop ones! But I know the bigger the cage the better for all animals so I would never think it was weird to have a big cage! I hope he's happy in it!

I've not had any tv/gas/electric people come around since I've had the rabbits free ranging, I wonder if I'd get any funny looks? My dad still gives me funny looks about them being inside, even though as a child we had a house rabbit!

Love it :D I've moved the one shelf out and put a big hammock there as Apollo was missing it :lol: he's been sleeping on it bless him.. I used the massive ramp for about a week, takes up sooo much room.. I use one of those long bendy bridges now that hook onto the bars:)

Lucky hammy:love: I do love the Alexander, I'm cleaning Apollo out this weekend and doing a full change onto Fitch, will see if he can flatten that down like the megazorb :twisted: :lol: maybe the base will stay full then..!

Where did you get yours? I thought yours looked great and went to find it in p@h with no luck. The ladder I got was the only thing semi-suitable! Hopefully my altering of it will work, but if not I'll probably try to get something like yours :)

Where did you get yours? I thought yours looked great and went to find it in p@h with no luck. The ladder I got was the only thing semi-suitable! Hopefully my altering of it will work, but if not I'll probably try to get something like yours :)

Zooplus :) I also have the short version which Apollo likes to sit on but that doesn't go very high up the bars, the long one is great though :) I have a small ladder like that and I used that garden wire stuff to attach cardboard on the back so it was solid :)

Zooplus :) I also have the short version which Apollo likes to sit on but that doesn't go very high up the bars, the long one is great though :) I have a small ladder like that and I used that garden wire stuff to attach cardboard on the back so it was solid :)

I considered cardboard but then had the idea to make it look like rigging on a ship :lol: I hope it works, I think it looks cool at least! Just found the ladder you use, £2 is a lot cheaper than the £10 I spent on my ladder! But oh well, I need it for tomorrow so no time to order anyway!

Off to bed now, picking him up in the morning! Bought him a little carry case to collect him in :)

I've also got him a large exercise ball, the lady at the RSPCA said she reckons he's the sort of hamster who would love it, but I'm not sure as I thought I've heard that hamsters don't actually like the balls. How long can a hamster be in one and still be having fun? I'd assume half an hour maximum?

I'd say 15 minutes max, that's what they say on the hamster forum, but it depends on the hamster, could be 5 minutes and they want out! I don't leave mine in for long. My dwarf has a 'syrian sized' ball and I'm thinking about ordering a rat one for Apollo but he sleeps a lot so might just sit there unused! The thing with leaving them in for too long is that they don't have access to water/food etc and just have to keep running, they could get stressed out and stuff so I limit it to around 5 minutes twice a day for Phoebe, not everyday though.

Personally I use the bath for extra exercise, but have a playpen for Phoebe as she's small and can't get out. My last syrian climbed over in seconds so I don't even bother with Apollo! He likes the bath with all his toys in anyway :)

Last edited:
I'd say 15 minutes max, that's what they say on the hamster forum, but it depends on the hamster, could be 5 minutes and they want out! I don't leave mine in for long. My dwarf has a 'syrian sized' ball and I'm thinking about ordering a rat one for Apollo but he sleeps a lot so might just sit there unused! The thing with leaving them in for too long is that they don't have access to water/food etc and just have to keep running, they could get stressed out and stuff so I limit it to around 5 minutes twice a day for Phoebe, not everyday though.

Personally I use the bath for extra exercise, but have a playpen for Phoebe as she's small and can't get out. My last syrian climbed over in seconds so I don't even bother with Apollo! He likes the bath with all his toys in anyway :)

I'll keep the ball then so he can try it :) what kind of things do they do to let you know they want to get out?

The bath is a good idea :) I'll give that a go too :)

I woke up 20 minutes ago and can't get back to sleep I'm so excited!

Ooh, only just seen this, how exciting :D love the cage and I love the ladder and you did all the rigging yourself :shock::D I don't have hamsters, we've we've got gerbils and they are chew monsters, otherwise I'd love to use some hamster ideas.

I echo the bath idea too, our gerbils love it.

34181f9b198930689e659d6e0b7df1fc_zps74da7285.jpg

7a60673a2b8119e3dfb1f12da978113c_zps528b8641.jpg

9b849dd28822ed24c77060e09adf2781_zpsb2d7a6eb.jpg

92b3c68e938e53c873112a20e1bbffb6_zps44286405.jpg

Sorry the photos are a bit blurry, he was so excited and running everywhere to explore! He loves his wheel so much!!!!! He's very friendly and cuddly :love:

I still can't decide on a name!!

OH and I said ages ago we wanted to call our future hamster Nibbler (after Nibbler from Futurama), he was called Sid in the rescue though and he really suits it!!!! All my animals usually have human names so although Nibbler is a cool name, it doesn't feel quite right in my mind. But I chose it with my OH and I feel that I should stick to that because that's important to me... But he looks like a Sid!!!

So.... What do others think... Sid or Nibbler????

:love: I think Sid! You wouldn't want to called him Nibbler and he take it literally :shock: :lol: He looks so happy already :love: Reminds me of Apollo ..when he's awake :roll: :lol:

One thing my hams love is millet :D They're good to hang from the bars of these kind of cages, turns into a little activity for them :)

Edit-

what kind of things do they do to let you know they want to get out?

Usually just sitting there or they start running erratically (even more erratically than they usually do in balls :lol:) or maybe cleaning themselves for a while. Try and do it in the evening when he's awake though as that may get him into a routine for the evening for ball time/bath time play, if you do it in the day then there is the possibility he will start chewing the bars to get out which is annoying for you but can do some damage to them. At least in the evening he can lose some steam in the ball/bath then go straight to his wheel etc :)

Last edited:
:love: I think Sid! You wouldn't want to called him Nibbler and he take it literally :shock: :lol: He looks so happy already :love: Reminds me of Apollo ..when he's awake :roll: :lol:

One thing my hams love is millet :D They're good to hang from the bars of these kind of cages, turns into a little activity for them :)

I saw some millet in p@h so I'll pick some up next time :)

He's a very good climber, he's climbed up his ladder lots and all over the bars and ceiling! He's spent most of his time in his wheel though! It's such a quiet wheel!

Back