• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding vs 'pet sitter'

Rosie42

Mama Doe
I hope that this is in the right place. I just have a slight conundrum and I'm hoping you guys can help.

Basically, I'm going away with my mum for 5 days in the middle of September, and originally, my dad was going to look after the animals. He's fine feeding and cleaning them out, but given Luna's gut problems of late, I don't really feel happy leaving him solely in charge, as the signs that she is having an episode are things he probably wouldn't really notice (sitting in her hutch looking a bit slumped and uncomfortable where as she would usually be pottering about). His attitude to vets is pretty much always 'she'll probably be alright tomorrow- we'll see then) and it doesn't really matter how many times I tell him that while this works with cats, it really doesn't work with rabbits.

Anyway, so my options are to book her into a boarding place, or I might be able to ask my sister's friend to come and keep an eye on her a couple of times a day (she has animal care NVQs and is pretty animal-savvy). The boarding place would probably be the easiest (as I have yet to ask my sister's friend if she is about then) but the problem there is that Luna's stasis is often brought on by stress, and the boarding place is half an hour away by car, plus the fact that she is in a strange place for the best part of a week, and I would worry that this might tip her over the edge.

The other factor involved is that due to Luna's bouts of stasis, I am moving her onto a forage diet, but I'm hoping that that would be okay either way, as long as I gather enough stuff for the week, and keep it all dry.

mole hills

I hope that this is in the right place. I just have a slight conundrum and I'm hoping you guys can help.

Basically, I'm going away with my mum for 5 days in the middle of September, and originally, my dad was going to look after the animals. He's fine feeding and cleaning them out, but given Luna's gut problems of late, I don't really feel happy leaving him solely in charge, as the signs that she is having an episode are things he probably wouldn't really notice (sitting in her hutch looking a bit slumped and uncomfortable where as she would usually be pottering about). His attitude to vets is pretty much always 'she'll probably be alright tomorrow- we'll see then) and it doesn't really matter how many times I tell him that while this works with cats, it really doesn't work with rabbits.

Anyway, so my options are to book her into a boarding place, or I might be able to ask my sister's friend to come and keep an eye on her a couple of times a day (she has animal care NVQs and is pretty animal-savvy). The boarding place would probably be the easiest (as I have yet to ask my sister's friend if she is about then) but the problem there is that Luna's stasis is often brought on by stress, and the boarding place is half an hour away by car, plus the fact that she is in a strange place for the best part of a week, and I would worry that this might tip her over the edge.

The other factor involved is that due to Luna's bouts of stasis, I am moving her onto a forage diet, but I'm hoping that that would be okay either way, as long as I gather enough stuff for the week, and keep it all dry.

Are you turning a mole hill into a mountain. 5 days I am sure your dad can be trusted or your friend.They give the rabbit loads of water loads of hay no rabbit pellets. Give them the money you would have to pay a boarding place. And anyway, what makes you think the boarding place will spend 12 hours a day looking at your rabbit for signs of upset.

Are you turning a mole hill into a mountain. 5 days I am sure your dad can be trusted or your friend.They give the rabbit loads of water loads of hay no rabbit pellets. Give them the money you would have to pay a boarding place. And anyway, what makes you think the boarding place will spend 12 hours a day looking at your rabbit for signs of upset.

She won't eat hay because of her gut- so I'm putting her onto a natural/ forage diet, including blackberry leaves and other plants and twigs instead.

I'm just worried that if she shows signs of gut trouble, that my dad won't pick it up quickly enough before it turns into stasis.

I think I will have to talk to my sister's friend about it and see if she can do it and just make sure she's aware of what signs to look for.

Difficult decision....
I would probably feel happier boarding if youre worried... unlike what the above poster said... the boarding places I know DO spend time looking out for problems especially if they are aware of them... and would not hesitate in taking bun to vet if it were necessary.

HOpe you manage to find a solution.... and enjoy your holiday without worrying :wave:

When I have boarders I feed a few small meals/bits of forage/greens/treat hay during the day. That way I know if anyone is off their food or acting up within a few hours rather than possibly after 12 hours. Everyone gets a fenugreek crunchie at bedtime so I can rest easy knowing they are all well.

A pet sitter just wouldn't be able to look in as often. If bunny was healthy it would be ok but given you have concerns I'd recommend boarding.

I think if ita a bunny boarder they're more likely to know the little ones are in a stressful situation being away from home and if know about her problems will check her regularly, they'll not want her to be uncomfortable just as much as you :thumb:

That said, if you can in this time stress how important it us to either or both of them, use you tube videos and threads from here then maybe it'd be best to leave her trundling in her own environment? Sorry if I'm not helping with a decision!

Really difficult decision for you!! I know if it was me, I'd probably be happier sending my bunnies to their usual boarding place. Jayne who looks after them there is very experienced and I think would be more likely to pick up on a problem than say my parents, who aren't so used to bunnies. However, if you have never used boarding before, the stress may be hard on them and they might be better staying with your Dad. Prehaps you could give the boarding a try before September and see how they go? :wave:

I have 6 buns so a little different but I got in a house sitter :) obviously she went out during the day but I felt much more at ease knowing my buns weren't being stressed by a new place and had an eye kept on them very regularly. I contacted an unemployed friend who had rabbits in the past to do it but there are websites for people who do it for a living :)

If you could get a rabbit savvy person to come and stay you'd have the best of both worlds. Is that an option? If not, I would go for the boarder. Even if the journey triggers stasis, the boarder will know and be at a vets straight away.

Back