• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny questions - hay, size...

Persie

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:

My bunny is 15 weeks old & a netherland dwarf/lionhead cross. We have been feeding him Excel Herbage Timothy Hay since we got him which he nibbles now & again but never eats a great amount. I'm wondering if this is normal as he is only a young bunny or should he be feasting on it by now? I'm wondering if maybe he isn't too fussed on the hay so this weekend we are going to buy the Supa Forage Excel Natural Grass instead to try him on, maybe a mix of both each day? I feed him an egg cup of Excel dwarf bunny nuggets in the morning & he gets veggies throughout the day here & there. We have tried to cut back his veg hoping he will eat more hay but honestly he makes us feel guilty as everytime we open the fridge he runs straight over and runs in circles round our legs looking some food :lol: does anyone use the Excel hays and do your bunnies prefer one over the other?

Also I was wondering because he is a netherland dwarf/lionhead cross would this make him a dwarf breed? :oops: (a daft question) I know netherland dwarf is the smallest breed and lionhead is also a small breed but not entirely sure.

Hi :wave: it might be as you say he's not keen on that particular hay. my girl pair prefer normal cheap meadow hay, and my boy pair prefer Timothy, they love the excel herbage Timothy with dandelion and marigold. Ive just started buying baled hay from a local farm, and all four buns love it, which is great because its £4 and there's loads.:D none of my buns will eat hay that has fallen out of the hay rack into the litter tray, I don't think they even obey the 5 second rule :lol:

My girl pair were young when I got them, and they have always eaten loads of hay. I would try him on some different hays and see which one he likes best :thumb:

Not sure about the breed question but I feed the excel junior/dwarf pellets to all my 4, the girls are lionheads and the boys are a who knows what rspca rescue pair, but they're also small rabbits.

The hay you buy in small bags tends to be chopped up into little bits; most bunnies prefer long strands that they can have a good munch on! I definitely recommend Hay for Pets (online hay supplier), especially their Ings hay, it smells gorgeous and all my buns love it. You can get a sample from them but it's cheaper to just buy a big bag :wave: or if you have somewhere nearby that sells bales, buns normally love those too :wave:

The hay you buy in small bags tends to be chopped up into little bits; most bunnies prefer long strands that they can have a good munch on! I definitely recommend Hay for Pets (online hay supplier), especially their Ings hay, it smells gorgeous and all my buns love it. You can get a sample from them but it's cheaper to just buy a big bag :wave: or if you have somewhere nearby that sells bales, buns normally love those too :wave:

Not sure if H4P will ship to N Ireland??

OP - it's best to have a look around for nearby farms or agriculture placse as you'll be able to pick up fresh hay, which your bunny might like more :D

:wave: thanks for your help everyone! I seen a few people mention the Ings hay on here which I would love to try so I sent an email asking how much delivery is to N.I. and it's roughly £4 so I think I will have to treat him to some :D (its soooo annoying that couriers class N.I as a remote area when it's part of the UK! :evil:)

I will definitely look into local farms etc to get him a few different varieties of hay :D

Just a thought...every bunny will run in circles and look pleadingly at you for any other food they enjoy .....:love::lol:...mine are all great hay eaters..but will sometimes sit about for 20 minutes just to see if I will give in and get them something else tasty! They are very very patient if they think you will give in....:D Resist resist...He will learn...;)

INS is great - as is the timothy & rye mix;)

Just a thought...every bunny will run in circles and look pleadingly at you for any other food they enjoy .....:love::lol:...mine are all great hay eaters..but will sometimes sit about for 20 minutes just to see if I will give in and get them something else tasty! They are very very patient if they think you will give in....:D Resist resist...He will learn...;)

INS is great - as is the timothy & rye mix;)
Chelle you just explained my bunny to a T :lol: when me or my boyfriend open the fridge he is straight over running around and around our feet, same when we are sitting at our dining table eating dinner, he goes around both our legs in a figure 8 often nudging us with his nose :lol: we are such suckers for giving in to him but like you said we have to resist or he will be a chub in no time at all :p I will definitely give both hays a go, thanks :D:D

Back