• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternatives to megazorb?

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
It needs to be

1) compostable
2) cheap (I currently pay less than £10 for megazorb which fills up the bin)
3) come in bags/bales small enough to fit in an 85L bin with none left over

I don't like the type of bedding that looks like this: http://www.foodforbirds.co.uk/admin/uploads/12d068df9be641f5a920bfe07adbff24.jpg. They're messy and I've had them injure N&T before.
I don't want wood shavings of any sort.
I don't want chopped up cardboard like this: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...VbVrZ9amrxKRJBeqxUz9be1wJwtvoYImCBK7oqAvHqaiF, as N&T tend to eat it.

Needs to be something soft like megazorb.

I've heard of fitch bedding, but I wonder what type of size bag/bale it comes in? Does it fit in an 85L bin? I've not been able to find it near me and the guides online just give a weight.

Fitch comes in a 10kg and 22kg bag, I have the 22kg bag and we filled an 80L storage box and the bag still looked full! It's very compressed but I'm incredibly happy with it, it's so absorbent and doesn't smell at all :)

The delivery is free for Fitch but you have to put your postcode in as people in Ireland/Scotland have extra charges, but you don't live that far from me so it will be free for you :)

Edit- I managed to get the actual bag into the storage box :lol: (tight fit!) so you could always have it like that as opposed to pouring the Fitch in :) that's the 22kg bag which is more value for money than the 10Kg one :)

Last edited:
Fitch comes in a 10kg and 22kg bag, I have the 22kg bag and we filled an 80L storage box and the bag still looked full! It's very compressed but I'm incredibly happy with it, it's so absorbent and doesn't smell at all :)

The delivery is free for Fitch but you have to put your postcode in as people in Ireland/Scotland have extra charges, but you don't live that far from me so it will be free for you :)

Edit- I managed to get the actual bag into the storage box :lol: (tight fit!) so you could always have it like that as opposed to pouring the Fitch in :) that's the 22kg bag which is more value for money than the 10Kg one :)

Ooh, you could fit the entire 22kg bag into the 80L storage box? Hmm, definitely worth looking into then. Where do you order from if you don't mind me asking :D?

Ooh, you could fit the entire 22kg bag into the 80L storage box? Hmm, definitely worth looking into then. Where do you order from if you don't mind me asking :D?

I wanted to take the Fitch out and put it in the box as it was just easier for me when doing the litter tray, but the bag fell and got stuck in the box :lol: I didn't think about it at the time but it would have been easier to keep it in there and just cut the top open :roll: it's in there now (in the bag) and fits nicely as I've used a bit of it :)

I got it from their website but you can get it from eBay, type in 'Fitch recycled bedding' into google and it should be the first one, it's really nice stuff:)

My bag of Fitch is due for delivery tomorrow (moving away from stinky megazorb), I'm actually really excited, can't wait to use it... Yes I am really sad! :oops:

Hempcore is pretty good and helps keeps flies down.

Not heard of fitch, sounds really good :thumb:

LOVE LOVE LOVE Fitch :love: but my 80l box has been filled twice and there is still some left over in the bag. It really is amazing, would never go back to anything else now

Fitch definitely sounds good, but I really need it to fit into my 85L bin with none left over. I live at home and already 'take up too much room' in the garage by having a bale of hay standing on its end, a bag of readigrass and a couple of stackable plastic boxes. There's no more room to get another bin unfortunately either :(

Does anyone get the smaller bag of fitch? Any idea if that fits into an 85L bin? This is hard!

Just took some pictures of how mine is, as you can see it bends the 80L box :lol: while the 22kg bag is more cost effective, the 10kg bag will probably be better for you :)

This is even after filling the zz2 and 2 weeks of daily litter tray clean outs! A the 10kg will last you a decent while too :)

null_zps0edf15a7.jpg

Hopefully after I clean my syrian hamsters cage out then I'll be able to get the lid back on!

null_zpsa97cc5cf.jpg

Just took some pictures of how mine is, as you can see it bends the 80L box :lol: while the 22kg bag is more cost effective, the 10kg bag will probably be better for you :)

This is even after filling the zz2 and 2 weeks of daily litter tray clean outs! A the 10kg will last you a decent while too :)

null_zps0edf15a7.jpg

Hopefully after I clean my syrian hamsters cage out then I'll be able to get the lid back on!

null_zpsa97cc5cf.jpg

Hmm thank you, that's really helpful. I've found a 110L bin for less than £20, and I may be able to get one of those...

Tbh I really hope that my local suppliers keep having the non-smelly megazorb so that I don't have to figure this out :lol: so complicated :shock:

After advice on here I ordered a bale of Fitch today to try it out, can't stand the smell of the megazorb and its just sooo dusty can't be good for mine or the bunnies health...so ill let you all know what I think:thumb:

My fitch arrived (or was collected from the post office) yesterday, so far it's wonderful, I can't smell it and the buns are happily doing their business on it.

The bag was bigger than I expected but have found room for it.

I'm now doing a comparison on how many times I can change the trays from 1 bag of fitch compaired to how many I could do with the Megazorb, I'm pretty sure that the Fitch is going to work out more cost effective.

Happy bunnies all round :D

Back