• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large carrier recommendations?

nessar

Warren Veteran
I'm looking for a new carrier, it needs to be at least 58 cm long and made of plastic, with a solid base and a removable top. It would be a bonus if I could find one with wheels, but I'm not holding my breath.

I currently have an Options one, but the colour of the top part means it always looks dirty, and a corner is broken.

Ideas?

(please don't suggest the catit cabrio, as I really want it but it is way too small :( )

:wave: I haven't got one myself, but Hagen, who make the catit, make dogit carriers in a range of sizes. They're called dogit voyageur. :D

Carrier

I'm looking for a new carrier, it needs to be at least 58 cm long and made of plastic, with a solid base and a removable top. It would be a bonus if I could find one with wheels, but I'm not holding my breath.

I currently have an Options one, but the colour of the top part means it always looks dirty, and a corner is broken.

Ideas?

(please don't suggest the catit cabrio, as I really want it but it is way too small :( )

It would cost you £35 including delivery. No wheels though. Barkside dog carrier. size medium. which is 67 cm long. From PetPlanet, on the internet. But the top is not removable, only in the way you first assemble it. So I don't think a quick way to take it off. The trouble is the size you are looking for. Phone 01506605150 week days after 8am. if you want to talk to them. Actually now I have re read what I have wrote. It does not seem suitable for you at all. But you never know, you might be converted.

I have the marchioro clipper 4 with wheels, I got it from zooplus and it's briliant - I use it for taking both my cats to the vet at the same time, it's also airline approved so it's pretty solid. The clipper 3 might just be big enough depending on what you want to use it for, I don't know if it comes with wheels at the smaller size though.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Catit_Voyageur_Cat_Carrier/c13612/

Would that be any good?

Edit: all the wheeled ones seem to be soft, so the only alternative I can think of is a cheap pushchair with the right dimensions for the carrier, or the base off a doll pram with the right dimensions. I don't know quite how to describe what I mean, but you can get doll prams where the top basket lifts off and there's just a base. Not ideal I know but I don't trust rabbits and soft carriers!

Last edited:
Hi again

It would cost you £35 including delivery. No wheels though. Barkside dog carrier. size medium. which is 67 cm long. From PetPlanet, on the internet. But the top is not removable, only in the way you first assemble it. So I don't think a quick way to take it off. The trouble is the size you are looking for. Phone 01506605150 week days after 8am. if you want to talk to them. Actually now I have re read what I have wrote. It does not seem suitable for you at all. But you never know, you might be converted.

From the same supplier you CAN get one with a removable top. it is called Options deluxe carrier three Xtra large £33 including delivery. 63 cm

Last edited:
I have the marchioro clipper 4 with wheels, I got it from zooplus and it's briliant - I use it for taking both my cats to the vet at the same time, it's also airline approved so it's pretty solid. The clipper 3 might just be big enough depending on what you want to use it for, I don't know if it comes with wheels at the smaller size though.

Is this the one you have, albeit bigger? Was wondering how the handle will cope with weight in the carrier... a bit worried about carriers like that coming open at the top when carrying them! Have emailed zooplus to see if the wheels are included. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/crates/small_dog_crates/13606

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Catit_Voyageur_Cat_Carrier/c13612/

Would that be any good?

Edit: all the wheeled ones seem to be soft, so the only alternative I can think of is a cheap pushchair with the right dimensions for the carrier, or the base off a doll pram with the right dimensions. I don't know quite how to describe what I mean, but you can get doll prams where the top basket lifts off and there's just a base. Not ideal I know but I don't trust rabbits and soft carriers!

No, the base section isn't solid which would be a nightmare as hay would fall out. It's a shame because they are pretty carriers. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Last edited:

From the same supplier you CAN get one with a removable top. it is called Options deluxe carrier three Xtra large £33 including delivery. 63 cm

I have an Options one at the moment, but the base is a bit flimsy and the colour means that it always looks dirty. The other one is a bit big, it needs to be a managable size to take on the train. Thanks for the suggestions though :)

:wave: I haven't got one myself, but Hagen, who make the catit, make dogit carriers in a range of sizes. They're called dogit voyageur. :D

Thanks for the suggestion :) the smaller ones have ventilation holes in the base section which wouldn't be good as hay woudl fall out, and the better ones are too big. Thanks anyway though

Is this the one you have, albeit bigger? Was wondering how the handle will cope with weight in the carrier... a bit worried about carriers like that coming open at the top when carrying them! Have emailed zooplus to see if the wheels are included. http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/crates/small_dog_crates/13606

It's similar, it's not exactly the same though. I have just realised though that my one isn't top opening, it's the only downside to it. Mine has a pull along handle that comes out the front, not one on top, so its definitely solid, but I had to buy the wheels separately.

I guess there is probably a limit to the size that they make top opening ones, because it's always going to be a weak point and all the weight will be held on the handle clips. So you may struggle to get something of the size you want with a top opener.

Wheels

When I need to use wheels, I take the bag off of the £10 shopping trolley and tie the box to that. With small wheels on a box how will you use them. Pull it along on a string.

I had a Ferplast Atlas which I think was the last model on this page: http://www.ferplast.com/en/shop/dogs-supplies/dog-travel?language=en-GB&p=1
(Several others to consider on there as well and on the subsequent pages. )

It was very sturdy and I found it much easier to use than the Cabrio. Only downside is that a bit of hay could escape through the front grille. But if I'd been bothered I would have made a panel to cover the lower few inches of the door.

Last edited:
Back