• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying questions

PrincessPomPom

Warren Scout
PomPom is being spayed on Friday the vet said to bring her in for 9am and once it's done and she's awake and eating she can come home but I don't know what to expect when we get home? Should I just leave her alone in her room -she has a whole room to herself- with food and just check on her now and then? Also how long will it take her to settle? She's currently an awful growling lunging mess because of hormones how long will it take her to become friendly and sweet :lol:

PomPom is being spayed on Friday the vet said to bring her in for 9am and once it's done and she's awake and eating she can come home but I don't know what to expect when we get home? Should I just leave her alone in her room -she has a whole room to herself- with food and just check on her now and then? Also how long will it take her to settle? She's currently an awful growling lunging mess because of hormones how long will it take her to become friendly and sweet :lol:

I would recommend putting her in a smaller space to start with, she really shouldn't move too much because she will be very sore for the first few days and will obviously have stitches. Buttons did not move for ages after her op, then she tried to run around !! Ack.:shock: definitely make sure she has plenty of peace and quiet so she can recover :)

As Alison Marie said re space.
Don't forget to take some really tasty hay with you when you take her in - she may not eat it when she comes round, but it may encourage her.

Yeah they said bring hay and her food or treats with her to encourage her to eat.
I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna make her room smaller hmm

Last edited:
The main thing is to stop her from jumping up onto things and stretching the wound, so I would perhaps concentrate on taking anything out which she may be able to jump onto, and as long as she doesnt go tearing around like a loon, leave her with the room as it is, as this will limit her stress.

I would just leave her quietly with lots of food, put hay in racks instead of on the ground as much as possible to limit the risk of it getting into the wound, scatter tasty food, and give water in a bowl instead of a bottle.

Keep a quiet eye on her, I wouldn't worry too much if sheis quiet and doesn't want to eat when she comes home, you probably wouldn't fancy dinner the evening of major abdominal surgery! So just check that she doesn't look in distress, isn't pulling at the wound, and hopefully she will start munching overnight. If she doesn't, I would plan on popping back to the vets the next day as she may need a pain relief top up.

Hope all goes well xx

Now that's easier I can just remove the stools that she jumps on but what about her litter tray? It's 32l under bed storage box and she has to somewhat jump into that when she gets in so shoul I remove that for the shallow cat litter tray?

Yes I would swap it for something more shallow, you don't want her having to jump or stretch the wound any more than necessary :D put a little of the litter in it so that it smells familiar to her - in fact if she's being done on fri you could put it in now so she starts to get familiar with it.

Back