• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter habits

Alammalam

New Kit
My bun has always been really good in regards to his litterbox training.

The only issue is that he tends to leave poo's in and around his box too. He never accidentally urinates outsides. only poos outside.

This started happening 2 months ago, for no reason. no new smell/arrangement.

Could anyone advise me? or is this normal behaviour?

Is he neutered? Sometimes when rabbits reach sexual maturity the start scattering poops to mark their territory. If that's the case, neutering should help. Otherwise, you could try a slightly larger tray :)

Yes, He was neutered back in November.

He had always used the same box (he also has not grown since) and was fine about it until 2 months ago. It tends to just be the area around his litter box, rather than anywhere else.

he doesn't have any health issues as he was checked by the vet recently.

Is all his hay in the litterbox or around it? He may just be sitting at funny angles in the box whilst eating, not realising his bum is hanging over, or he's just eating away and not realising. I find mine take great care when sitting for a wee, but when it comes to poops they'll be wherever the hay is.

Is all his hay in the litterbox or around it? He may just be sitting at funny angles in the box whilst eating, not realising his bum is hanging over, or he's just eating away and not realising. I find mine take great care when sitting for a wee, but when it comes to poops they'll be wherever the hay is.

All his hay is the same as it's ever been. In a corner/ short side of his litter box. the box itself is quite large, could easily fit 3-4 times of him. He also drops in about a 50cm radius of the box, so its more than just bum hanging out.

I've tried even putting his food bowl into the box, cleaning it out more/ less frequently/ moving it to a different area/ use a different box varying in size...
but the same thing happens :(

Its not that he doesn't use his box to poo either. He does most of the time, but I would say about 1/4 of the time it'll be outside within the proximity of the box.

Is it 'jumping' out when he does? Mini has a habit of suddenly jumping out of the tray and she doesn't always stop pooping before she does and sometimes scatters a couple.

Is it 'jumping' out when he does? Mini has a habit of suddenly jumping out of the tray and she doesn't always stop pooping before she does and sometimes scatters a couple.

both. sometimes he'll be like that, but more often than not, he'll just poop then either stay there. leave, or go into the box.
I just want to know why he is doing this/ maybe 'fix' it.

Do you ever clean the outside of the box?

yup. Have even relocated the box / moved his whole area around before. He still litter boxes fine even then. but the same problem remains. Its fine if it was just a few drops, but i would say he does around 60-70% in box. and the rest around/ nearby it. even outside (but next to) the hutch the box is in. So frustrating, particularly as he is an indoor bun.

I would try not cleaning the outside for a while, see if it improves, it may be that you're removing his scent so he's feeling the need to rescent the box by pooping round it.

Back