• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit being desexed tomorrow

Carolinew5

Warren Scout
my little boy rabbit is hopefully going to be desexed tomorrow how long do you think it will take him to recover ? and should i keep him in the hutch on his return home? Also my little girl is i think going through a phantom pregnancy should she stay in the hutch ? they are 5 months old thankyou for actepping me i am a new rabbit owner but love and spoil my babies :D:

Rabbit desexed tomorrow

My little boy rabbit is hopefully going to be desexed tomorrow how long do you think it will take him to recover ? and should i keep him in the hutch on his return home? Also my little girl is i think going through a phantom pregnancy should she stay in the hutch ? they are 5 months old thankyou for actepping me i am a new rabbit owner but love and spoil my babies :

Hello and welcome :)

Good luck for your boy's neuter tomorrow. Boys tend to recover relatively quickly. Your vet should give you advice on his recovery, but when we have foster bunnies neutered I tend to keep them in a smallish cage out of the cold (so usually indoors) for at least 24 hours after they come home. My vet likes to see them again 24 hours after the op for a check-over, and then I follow her advice and my own instinct on whether it's ok for them to have the full run of their area again. Some bunnies might take longer to get back to normal than others. You want to make sure he is eating and pooing normally.

Your vet should also give you pain relief medication to give him at home for 3+ days after his op.

As for your girl bun, is she spayed already? Is she making a nest? Does she usually live with the boy?

Hope all goes well tomorrow :)

Hi and thank-you for your reply yes they were together as was told i had 2 females but soon to find out that 1 was male they have been split for 6 weeks now so i know she is not having babies there was a scare at one stage ..I have then in 2 x 6ft runs next to each other and hoping that they will get on again when the time come have followed the vets advise to the letter so all should be well ... :)

my little boy rabbit is hopefully going to be desexed tomorrow how long do you think it will take him to recover ? and should i keep him in the hutch on his return home? Also my little girl is i think going through a phantom pregnancy should she stay in the hutch ? they are 5 months old thankyou for actepping me i am a new rabbit owner but love and spoil my babies :D:

It shouldn't take him long to recover at all, it's a very minor operation. Vet should give you painkillers for a few days afterwards, and it's okay to put him back in his hutch straight away - just keep an eye on him a bit more than usual to check he's weeing/pooing/acting okay.

Do both your bunnies currently live together? If they're both unspayed and unneutered there's a very high chance that your female is pregnant, not phantom pregnant. As such, I'd recommend that you take her to the vets too to assess her situation, and possibly perform an emergency spay on her instead of him if funds are tight. If you can afford to, neutering and spaying both of them would be best.

EDIT: just seen your above post! Fabulous that she's not pregnant :D Are you planning to get little girl spayed at some point? There's a very high (80%+) chance that she'll get uterine cancer by about 3 years old, so I'd definitely get it done fairly soon if it's not already on your list of things to do! Sounds like you're pretty clued up though :D

Bunnies are a bit of a pain to reintroduce - we tend to call it 'bonding' on here. There's some good methods but the general consensus is to give them a smallish area like a puppy pen to reintroduce them in. It's important to neutralise their home and environment with vinegar so they don't associate it as 'theirs' - makes bonding easier! There's a lot of good info on here about how best to introduce/reintroduce bunnies :D

Last edited:
Hi and thank-you for your reply yes they were together as was told i had 2 females but soon to find out that 1 was male they have been split for 6 weeks now so i know she is not having babies there was a scare at one stage ..I have then in 2 x 6ft runs next to each other and hoping that they will get on again when the time come have followed the vets advise to the letter so all should be well ... :)

Aw, well done. That must have been a shock when you found out they were boy and girl :shock:. Sounds like you have it all well under control!

As they are both 5 months old, you could look at getting the girl spayed shortly if your vet is happy to - usually vets say 6 months for girls so not long to go. You'll hopefully have a good chance of bonding them back together if they are both done. I really hope they get on together again.

One of my females used to have phantom pregnancy 'symptoms' - she would run around collecting hay up. I used to leave her to it because she would stop fairly quickly. I actually don't know what the official advice is when they do this, so hopefully someone with more experienced will come along with some advice. When your girl is spayed though, she may stop (although my female that did it was spayed :roll::lol:).

Hi yes i will get her sprayed but thought id get him done first as he sprays a lot and wouldn't leave her alone bless her she was very tolerant with him though at the time im so hoping they will bond as they were so close we do hold them together so they know each others smell still fingers crossed eh ...

Hi yes i will get her sprayed but thought id get him done first as he sprays a lot and wouldn't leave her alone bless her she was very tolerant with him though at the time im so hoping they will bond as they were so close we do hold them together so they know each others smell still fingers crossed eh ...

Fair enough :D :lol: yes, unneutered males can be quite testing when it comes to constant spraying :lol: I bet little miss bunny will be quite pleased when his hormones are in check :lol: Hopefully they'll bond well! If they knew each other as babies and didn't have any arguments that's two plus points, so hopefully everything goes smoothly :love:

I'm guessing your girl bun could actually be pregnant since both have been living together, after your boys been neutered in my experience boys recover quite quickly but its important to keep your rabbits seperate for a minimum of 8 weeks after neutering as if she is pregnant he will still be fertile for weeks after the op so he can get her pregnant straight after giving birth, I think someone on here years ago had her boy neutered and he was still fertile 4 weeks after the op and got her girl pregnant when she reintroduced them! If you haven't already I'd go out and buy an indoor cage or another hutch to keep them apart.

Ah I never saw that :oops:

No problem, it's not too obvious that there's another thread on it! I just thought I'd post to save people having to write out an essay only to find that everything is okay and little miss bunny isn't pregnant :D

So nice to have a new owner who is clearly so knowledgeable and cares about their bunnies :love:

:)

Hi sorry yes i didnt know what i was doing with posting didnt realise i had done it twice and cant work out how to delete one :oops: Bunnies have been totally separated for 6 weeks now :( Thank-you all for your reply's im also trying to put a pic on and cant work that out either ....

Hi sorry yes i didnt know what i was doing with posting didnt realise i had done it twice and cant work out how to delete one :oops: Bunnies have been totally separated for 6 weeks now :( Thank-you all for your reply's im also trying to put a pic on and cant work that out either ....

:lol: No problem, I was a bit rubbish at forums when I first started!

Do you have an account with photobucket, or another similar site? You just need to upload it to that website from your computer/phone, then copy and paste the code that starts with . Put that in a post on here and the pic should show :D There's more detailed instructions somewhere on here, I'll have a look.

EDIT: There we go :D [url]http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos[/url]

I've merged the two threads into one, don't worry, it's takes a bit to get used to all the options :)

Back