• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homesick bun?

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

Is it possible for a bun to get homesick? Peter had been at boarding for 4 days and I collected him yesterday. The lady said he seemed like a different rabbit :( not as bubbly as usual and seemed anxious and stressed:cry:. He had eaten , drunk, pooed and wee'd as norm ( although I noticed there was a piece of unbeaten carrot- unlike him). I brought him home, put him in his run and he bolted straight to his fave box, I offered him a fenugreek crunchie but he turned his nose up. I kept an eye on him and within an hour he seemed his normal self, running riot and had eaten the crunchie. Since then though he just hasn't seem 100% him, he's eating etc but not with the usual gusto , binkying bonkers like usual, just doesn't seem quite right? He's laying around as normal, not sitting hunched up etc.

I'm going to continue to keep an eye on him.

He's been to the boarding place a few times before, journey is less than 5 mins. The only thing I wondered is if it could be due to the last time he went away was for bonding and sadly that involved lots of fighting :( could that have caused his anxiety?

Unhappy

Hi,

Is it possible for a bun to get homesick? Peter had been at boarding for 4 days and I collected him yesterday. The lady said he seemed like a different rabbit :( not as bubbly as usual and seemed anxious and stressed:cry:. He had eaten , drunk, pooed and wee'd as norm ( although I noticed there was a piece of unbeaten carrot- unlike him). I brought him home, put him in his run and he bolted straight to his fave box, I offered him a fenugreek crunchie but he turned his nose up. I kept an eye on him and within an hour he seemed his normal self, running riot and had eaten the crunchie. Since then though he just hasn't seem 100% him, he's eating etc but not with the usual gusto , binkying bonkers like usual, just doesn't seem quite right? He's laying around as normal, not sitting hunched up etc.

He's been to the boarding place a few times before, journey is less than 5 mins. The only thing I wondered is if it could be due to the last time he went away was for bonding and sadly that involved lots of fighting :( could that have caused his anxiety?

I suppose he is annoyed and a little worried, that you may send him away again. This is his home, he does not wan't a holiday away.

I don't think he's going to know that that's where he's going, otherwise rabbits would be able to understand the word NO .. :lol: and that the bonding process is for their own good, the same with vet trips etc.

Might be the changes in weather, mine are more subdued with the changes from hot to cool. Or that he's just settling back into home life.

If it's really worrying you I'd pop to the vets with him :wave:

Hi,

Well they do say that bunnies remember fights hence why if 2 fight badly they are unlikely to ever bond. I find my bunnies get kind of 'put out' if any changes are made to their routine, as they don't seem to like change at all. If Peter doesn't like change either and remembered the fighting, I can see why it will take him some time to settle down and feel secure again. Hope he feels better soon, it's horrible isn't it when they are like this.

Well they do say that bunnies remember fights hence why if 2 fight badly they are unlikely to ever bond. I find my bunnies get kind of 'put out' if any changes are made to their routine, as they don't seem to like change at all. If Peter doesn't like change either and remembered the fighting, I can see why it will take him some time to settle down and feel secure again. Hope he feels better soon, it's horrible isn't it when they are like this.

If Peter has been ok at the boarding place before now, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the change in him is due to the humid, oppressive weather......it really seems to have affected all of the bunnies in our care this past couple of weeks, they've all been pretty subdued, but, like Peter, they've been eating, drinking and pooing as normal.

Tracey

determined rabbit

I reckon the rabbit is saying, I don't mind a joke once a year, but don't make a habit of it. My bunny is very determined in how he wants to live his life. he tells me when he wants to go out on the balcony. He tells me when he wants to come in. he lets me know when I can pick him up. and when I can't. when he wants more food and which type of food. When I am late cleaning his cage, he lets me know it. Damn rabbit runs my life.

No, I wouldn't say he was homesick.

I'd say the change of territory has upset him.

Rabbits know their territory, you've changed that, that's all.

No, I wouldn't say he was homesick.

I'd say the change of territory has upset him.

Rabbits know their territory, you've changed that, that's all.

This. Also, if his eating habits don't return to normal I would get him checked over by a vet for statis and also get his teeth checked.

Thanks everyone :)

Well 4 days on and he's still eating slightly strangely, he's eating everything, its just where he used to gobble down his food he now grazes on it over half an hour or so. He seems happy, lots of binkies, drinking plenty, big golden poos etc, just the way he eats has changed abit.

He's still eating lots of hay etc, I've watched him laid down and he looks chilled out and comfy, no teeth grinding or anything

Back