• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cloudy Eye

happybunny

Mama Doe
Hi All,

Yesterday we collected a rabbit advertised on Gumtree as 4 year old female in good health.

She was kept in a hutch with no opening apart from a hole to access the run that was falling to bits. Today we noticed one of her eyes is completely cloudy. Now we fully intend to take her for a full vet check but am I right in thinking she is likely to be blind in that eye?

If so what extra care will care will she need?

Thank you

we had a bun blind in one eye, she got on just fine, she just couldnt see things coming sometimes so she would jump if we she wasnt expecting us :lol: but apart from that she just adapted to it

I am worried she may be harder to bond if it makes her more nervous. Our intention as to bond her with a pair we have.

Last edited:
true, i have no experience with that sorry, my bun was already in a bonded pair and she was about 8 when she lost her sight

It's possible that if it's just a scratch to the eye that is infected, that antibiotics may clear it up.

Yes, it could be an infection/ulcer and will clear up with treatment. The vet will need to have a close look and probably put some dye in to work out the problem. If it's just the one eye then I don't think you'll notice too much difference in behaviour as her hearing/sense of smell will compensate a lot.

My rabbit was born an eye problem. She has already had one surgery to correct it, but will probably require another. There is the possibility she will go blind in that eye, and I had a good cry over that. But, then I realized I would love her no matter what. I hope the bunny is ok, and I know you will love her and give her a happy home no matter what.

Thank you all for your responses.

Just got back from the vets who said it looks like her eye has been like that for a long while and she is not showing any pupil function at all. :(

Other than that she was fine (on the thin side) and we will book her in for neutering once she has settle in.

Back