• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Charlie's not eating much now.

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
:?

She's eating grass, parsley, dandelion leaves, fibre first stick and her pellets still, but is ignoring the hay :? She was spayed on Wednesday and is having gut stimulant medicine as she didn't eat. She is still a bit slow with eating but she generally munches it all when no one is looking!

I'm going to take some ings and timothy&rye out for her when we sort her out for the night, see if she'll eat that.

My bf's back garden is a field so not short on grass and things. She's also accustomed to it so not worried about over loading her too quickly!

Any ideas as to why she's just stopped? Her teeth were checked during the spay and the 2 days after and they're perfectly straight and no problems with them. She's not getting loads of pellets so she's not filling up on them, we gave her grass instead as she was just ignoring hay. Still pooping fine although they are much darker but that's a given with grass!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit - now she is hardly eating anything.. She had a few dandelion leaves, bit of hawthorn and her pellets but is completely ignoring grass and hay now.. I also found most of the hawthorn in with ghe grass :( she had one bit broken into 5 pieces and there were only 2 missing. It's stressing me out so much :cry: She's not getting anymore than she usually does.

I don't think the fact we have to get her 3 times a day for medicine helps but surely her diet should have got back to normal by now :cry:

Last edited:
It's okay apparently, my bf doesn't seem to think there is a problem because she's still eating pellets and the vet can't give her anything to make her eat hay and things.. Ffs I think I'm going to burst into tears :cry:

Is she still eating grass ?

Not now, it's been the really long thick blades if you know what I mean and she never really eats that. I *think* she ate the small handful of 'normal' looking grass though but it was hard to tell because she'd dug it all into one pile. She had a bit of readigrass too I think. She's ignoring ings, timothy&rye, soft meadow hay and stalky meadow hay and she usually loves stalky meadow hay.

I just found a thread and someone said it can take up to a week for diets to get back to normal, but she's only really eating her pellets and dandelion leaves. I don't know if it's because she feels scared or something because of us having to get her to give her the gut stimulant and that freaks her out so much that she just doesn't want to eat.

Can you crush the pellets up and sprinkle them over some hay. The smell of the pellets may get her interested in picking at the hay and she may then start to eat it properly.

I've just found out that on top of the few dandelions we give her in the evening, my bf's dad has been feeding her loads so maybe that's why she's peeing and it's not that she's drinking normally :cry: and drinking normally for her isn't drinking a lot.

How many dandelion leaves are okay?

How much hawthorn is okay?

Even though she's used to grass and things, could she have a tummy ache because she's mainly eating green things and not hay with it?

:(

Can you crush the pellets up and sprinkle them over some hay. The smell of the pellets may get her interested in picking at the hay and she may then start to eat it properly.

I'll do that thank you :) I did sprinkle some pellets into the grass last night which is why I knew she didn't eat it because they were all still there. She is eating the fibrefirst stick too but likes it broken up first.

I've just found out that on top of the few dandelions we give her in the evening, my bf's dad has been feeding her loads so maybe that's why she's peeing and it's not that she's drinking normally :cry: and drinking normally for her isn't drinking a lot.

How many dandelion leaves are okay?

How much hawthorn is okay?

Even though she's used to grass and things, could she have a tummy ache because she's mainly eating green things and not hay with it?

:(

Without being able to examine her its impossible to say. If you think she may be in pain then really the only option is to get the Vet to take a look at her. If she has been filling up on Dandelion leaves, hawthorn and pellets she is probably not hungry enough to eat hay too, especially if her GI tract is still sluggish.

Without being able to examine her its impossible to say. If you think she may be in pain then really the only option is to get the Vet to take a look at her. If she has been filling up on Dandelion leaves, hawthorn and pellets she is probably not hungry enough to eat hay too, especially if her GI tract is still sluggish.

My bf doesn't think she needs the vet because she's eating pellets :roll: I'll take her on my own if I have to though as I don't think she's quite 'right'.

She was probably filling up on dandelion leaves and grass the first few days, she's been back in her run in the shed since Friday afternoon as being in the house was pretty stressful for her. If I'd have known she was getting a lot of dandelion leaves then I wouldn't have given her any, I'm going to stop that now and put a ban on them.. she if that helps.

She probably has today and tomorrow worth of metoclopramide left and maybe the same in metacam.

How is her drinking now?

When I had Frankie spayed I found she wasn't drinking out of her bottle so I put a bowl of water in with her and she drank loads from it. It took Frankie a few days to get back to normal properly

How is her drinking now?

When I had Frankie spayed I found she wasn't drinking out of her bottle so I put a bowl of water in with her and she drank loads from it. It took Frankie a few days to get back to normal properly

She's had a bit of water but never drinks a lot anyway, she's always had a bowl too :) She's eaten some hay now so that's good, watched her from the window :oops: she has the vets tomorrow morning with our usual vet so fingers crossed she will be able to help her. I don't know if it will warrant fluids etc as she is eating a bit but I'm not a vet so we'll see! :)

The other 2 were pains but were fine after a week, Charlie knows how to worry me!

Back