• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is what wins shows for UK netherland rabbits

Mirth

Mama Doe
I went to a big agricultural show which had all sorts of animals there on show. I didn't see the rabbits being judged, I think I was too late for that (or distracted by taking photos of the rabbits and rats)

I remembered from the discussion of netherland dwarfs and their flat faces and found 3 interesting black netherlands.

This one had the longest face out of the three.

This one had a slightly flatter face.

I couldn't believe how flat this one was

I'm sure you can guess which one won?

And the one with the longest face didn't place at all.
Now it could mean that the other two had a better body, ears, eyes, coat ect or the longer nosed one was disqualified/lost marks for something. But it still saddens me that even after pedigree dog exposed, that rabbit breeders are just as blinded to the faults of their animals as those dog breeders are.

I was happy to see that most of the rabbits had hay and all had a water bottle. I think it should be a show requirement for all rabbits being shown to have at least a handful of hay at all times.

Don't get me started on the pigeons! :shock: Which I think I'll post in another thread :lol:

It doesn't surprise me:roll:. But much like the pedigree dogs fiasco, you have to blame those who set the breed standard just as much as the people who breed to achieve that standard. So with dogs, ALL the kennel Club needed to do was change the breed standard BUT they chose not to until they were exposed on TV. Sadly, I doubt the BRC will ever be exposed on TV :(.

tbh the one who came first had a much better netherland dwarf body, which usually counts more towards the scores than the head.
It would be interesting to see if any had the signs of the begining of dental disease. It would be good if judges were trained at looking in the mouths/ feeling the jawline for bumps.
I have 5 nethies, and the the ones with the flatest faces have never had to have a dental, the one who did need one actually has the longest shaped face.

Poor bunnies :( I've been relatively lucky as I have a pet-shop Nethie, but she's never had any dentals and I don't think she has much of a flat face either tbf!

tbh the one who came first had a much better netherland dwarf body, which usually counts more towards the scores than the head.
It would be interesting to see if any had the signs of the begining of dental disease. It would be good if judges were trained at looking in the mouths/ feeling the jawline for bumps.
I have 5 nethies, and the the ones with the flatest faces have never had to have a dental, the one who did need one actually has the longest shaped face.

Yeah, though from what I remember the longer nosed one didn't have a bad body, but 2nd place one doesn't look it had a good one. But photos are always deceptive, I think it's easier to judge once you've got hold of the bunny. I wish I watched them judge now, to see what they looked for and if they checked the teeth.

Oddly, these pictures just made me realize how flat Mimzy's face really is. :( These poor bunnies.
I can't bear seeing them in the tiny show cages. I just want to scoop them all up and take them home. That was how my poor Fiver started out as we have lots of mini rex breeders up here. :(
And the state fair is coming up. :cry:

Back