• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Odd White 'Waxy' Coating on Spring Greens Leaves ??

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I bought a bag of Spring Greens from Sainsburys. When I removed them from the bag to wash them I noticed the leaves, whilst very dark in themselves, had a fine white wax like coat all over them :? Even thorough washing did not budge the coating. Only rubbing each individual leaf firmly with kitchen towel removed the coating. In the end I chucked the lot away as I really was not sure if they were OK :?

Anyone else had anything similar ??

Yes mine have often been like that recently, and that's from tesco :? I haven't a clue what it is, but I just wash them really well and they don't seem to cause any problems :?

Yes, I've found that. I wash it off. Ludo's been fine with it and so have the human occupants of the house!

But they will be covered in chemicals :shock: Even if they are washed before packing it will be in a solution containing bleach :shock:

I never wash any fruit or veg for the animals or the humans. We're all still here. I'm not that fussy about dirt/soil or stuff like that. Maybe I should be?

They're the same in Asda too. I have to wash thoroughly to get it off. It's what they spray them with I think and with the hot weather it's dried on.

Ive had same.... scrubbed the leaves.... and it took some getting off.... its obviously something theyre sprayed with..
Like you Jane.... dont mind dirt.... but not repared to risk feeding chemicals

You may have some success soaking them in water with a little vinegar, then rinsing off. The vinegar is supposed to help get the residue off.

You guys should see the nasty stuff that's clinging to all our produce. I love apples peel on, but can't eat them that way due to the wax they 'shine' them up with. Even taking the peel off causes whatever you can't wash off (and that's a lot) to taint the flavor of the fruit. It's terrible.
When we move we want to plant our own trees/veg. The stuff that passes for edible in the stores today is NOT. :evil:

Funny you should bring this up, as I cooked greens for tea, and attempted to scrub the weird white coating off too! :shock: :? Mine were also from Sainbos.

I never wash any fruit or veg for the animals or the humans. We're all still here. I'm not that fussy about dirt/soil or stuff like that. Maybe I should be?

I'm very much like you, occasionally wash things for the humans though :?

Back