• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a rescue let me adopt?

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
I want to start the new year with a bigger family :lol:(I know it's a while away lol, but it's something that takes a lot of thought and planning)

I'd love to bond a neutered boy to my two one year old dutch girls as soon as they're spayed.

What kind of things do I need to consider when adopting a bun, and would I even be considered to adopt?

I'd have a 6ft "coop" for him to live in during bonding and then the trio could live in an 8ft 2 tier hutch with 8x4 run, plus supervised free-ranging for at least 4 hours every day.

Would my set-up be big enough?
Most of the rescues I've looked at have already bonded their buns up, and there's no way I could get four in there. :(
Plus I don't know where I could go that's neutral for bonding...

Also I looked at cottontails and there was loads of negative stuff about ramps, but my girls aren't confident jumpers, even their kiddy chairs have ramps to them, and you see them size up to the 4 inch jump into the housey bit, they're okay jumping down, but they get confused with the landing when trying to get up there, and often try to stop mid-jump which ends up in splayed legs and a dazed look :roll::roll:. So I have to have ramps, will this reduce my chances of adopting?
(There is a bedding area upstairs and downstairs so if newbun doesn't like ramps he can live downstairs but I'd much rather he had the full run of the place. I want a two tier hutch so that if it rains they can escape the downstairs where the rain could blow in because it's attached to the run, as the hutch cover won't cover every bit of it and although it may be only a few drops and the bedding areas will be dry, I know I'd hate to be that close to rain, plus as I can't offer them a shed, I'm building up, so that living space isn't compromised too much).

My buns are vaccinated and come in 4 times a week for nail trims, play time, cuddles (because my two LOVE hugs:shock:) and so I can watch them poop and pee to make sure everything's working okay. The only reason they're not spayed yet is because they were shockingly underweight when the came to me, and then they went overweight (because I spoilt them a bit too much:oops:) and then when they finally got to the right weight Jelly got the snuffles:roll:, but it's all cleared up now, so, Houston we are go! :thumb:

Oh, I also have a dog...

...and a cat

Wow when I write all this it's not looking very positive. :cry::cry:

Might just go for P@H adoption, but I'd love to help out a rescue by taking a fluffkins off their hands to free up space for somebunny who also needs help, rather than taking in some unwanted "stock" :evil:

I think that the setup that your planning on getting will be OK for three rabbits but I wouldn't add anymore than that. However regarding the free ranging I do know that some rescues do not approve unless the garden is fully secured and that somebody will be out constantly with them the whole time.

Having adopted from Cottontails twice and being quite friendly with Mairwen who runs Cottontails I do know that she's not overally keen on groups and rehoming a rabbit to be bonded into a group as she likes a guarantee that they will bond quickly and smoothly - obviously pairs can fall out and be difficult to bond but the risk is higher when attempting groups. I think she would consider depending on the persons knowledge and experience in group bonding and what setup they have.

Cottontails don't home check but they do need to see some pictures of your setup that you have to offer and she will test your knowledge to make sure you know your research and knowledge - I wish they did homecheck though. When you take your rabbit along to be bonded they do a 'speed dating service' where your rabbit can be tried with a selection of single rabbits to see which they like the best - one by one obviously. If the signs are good and all is well she says it's a successful match and they'll come home with you where you continue the bonding. I find this way works really well as the journey home in the same carrier helps to
bring them closer, they won't need to be separated unless there's any serious issue. obviously they'll need to sort out hierarchy and there will be chasing and such but that's all normal through bonding but they do need to be closely monitored and obviously in a neural space.

Regarding the ramps I would suggest maybe asking for the hutch builder to create a kind of stairs going up and down and then make sure that they can not fall down or off the side. I don't see ramps much of an issue so long as they're not too steep and have grip available as well as being strongly secured. However the risk of injury is something you have to consider - maybe you could get a single 8x3x3ft hutch with a 10x4 or a 8x8 run attached?

There's a lot to think about but I hope I've helped :wave:

Last edited:
Yes I should think there are plenty of rescues who would rehome to an 8ft hutch (assuming it is at least 2ft wide and 2ft high) and run. In my experience, most rescues don't bond up most of their buns - maybe the ones you've looked at had a number of bonded pairs come in, or had an emergency intake and had to bond some up for space, or have only advertised the bonded ones. When you come to the right time I'm sure you'll have no problem at all finding a single bunny.

However having said that, if your girls are happy, personally I would advise against adding a third. I think there is a really high risk that your girls could end up falling out if you try to add another bun, or potentially living as a tolerated arrangement whereby one bun gets left out and doesn't live as happily as the others. Personally with a stable pairing, I would take the view that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

The hutch is 8ft long x 2ft wide x 4ft high (so each floor is 2ft high, although the top floor might be 2 inches shorter as we're contemplating insulation in the roof) and the run is 8ft long x (just under) 4ft wide x (just over) 2ft high

I tried proper pet steps for my girls to get on to the sofa they were fine getting up, after a LOT of carrot-related persuasion. However they couldn't figure out how to get down and Jelly went down one stair then couldn't reverse, so she jumped and twisted over, if I hadn't been there she'd have landed on her back, so now we rest a ramp against the sofa.

Just thought I would mention, that my hutch is 2.5ft on each level and it does make a massive difference. My bunnies aren't massive (mini lop x's) but it means that I can buy tunnels and steps etc that they can jump onto and periscope on and there is enough height to do this.

sorry to be a wet blanket but I'd suguest you really think hard about why you want 3 rabbits . its very tempting to think if 2 rabbits is fun and lovely then 3 is a third more fun and even more lovely but it isn't any more pleasure to have 3 then to have 2.
I've 3 and to be honest if I was doing it again I think I'd stop at 2. 2 is expensive for vaccinations- 3 is crippling. 2 is sometimes tricky to watch when free ranging- 3 you need eyes in back of head as they all ****** off in different directions and you spend all your time scanning for where they are rather then the more relaxed glancing at 2. my 3 thankfully do all adore each other- but theres plenty of cases where you can end up with 2 that love each other-and one utterly left out--- or worse all fallen out and fighting.
and i struggle too- i see gorgious young buns needing homes and think oooo that ones ADORABLE - hey i have a huge set up and could easy have another 2 or 3 but ... its not sane--- more does not equal more fun-- more equals more bills, more worries and so i have to stop myself and be sensible. 2 was enough, 3 really was an overindulgence and I have enough. I won't go above 2 in future.

anyhow its up to you but i really would give some careful thought about why you want three. because its just as easy to want number 4 or number 5 and it has to stop somewhere. best stopped while still fun and manageable.

If the run is attached and accesable at all times and has a cover for bad weather then we would rehome to that setup (providing it is safe etc )
We will also rehome to homes that allow free ranging as long as reasonable precautions are taking with regards to rabbits safety ...although I do know some rescues don't .

However as someone else mentioned you need to be aware that sometimes adding a third bunny to a pair can upset the original bond ... but not always .

sorry to be a wet blanket but I'd suguest you really think hard about why you want 3 rabbits . its very tempting to think if 2 rabbits is fun and lovely then 3 is a third more fun and even more lovely but it isn't any more pleasure to have 3 then to have 2.
I've 3 and to be honest if I was doing it again I think I'd stop at 2. 2 is expensive for vaccinations- 3 is crippling. 2 is sometimes tricky to watch when free ranging- 3 you need eyes in back of head as they all ****** off in different directions and you spend all your time scanning for where they are rather then the more relaxed glancing at 2. my 3 thankfully do all adore each other- but theres plenty of cases where you can end up with 2 that love each other-and one utterly left out--- or worse all fallen out and fighting.
and i struggle too- i see gorgious young buns needing homes and think oooo that ones ADORABLE - hey i have a huge set up and could easy have another 2 or 3 but ... its not sane--- more does not equal more fun-- more equals more bills, more worries and so i have to stop myself and be sensible. 2 was enough, 3 really was an overindulgence and I have enough. I won't go above 2 in future.

anyhow its up to you but i really would give some careful thought about why you want three. because its just as easy to want number 4 or number 5 and it has to stop somewhere. best stopped while still fun and manageable.

I think this response was uncalled for ... the poster is obviously giving this lots of thought ... its months until the times she plans to do it ...she is obviously considering things carefully .

Just thought I would mention, that my hutch is 2.5ft on each level and it does make a massive difference. My bunnies aren't massive (mini lop x's) but it means that I can buy tunnels and steps etc that they can jump onto and periscope on and there is enough height to do this.

I'd love to get a taller hutch however as my little brother is also responsible for cleaning and helping out he wouldn't be able to reach, I may see if I can get one floor taller and just stretch my bro hahahaha

Last edited:
I'd love to get a taller hutch however as my little brother is also responsible for cleaning and helping out he wouldn't be able to reach, I may see if I can get one floor taller and just stretch my bro hahahaha

Ahh bless. Maybe consider getting the top level higher, then your bro will still be able to reach :thumb:

Thank you for your input, and at the moment I'm only in the early stages of considering, there's no point buying three of everything and getting excited if no rescue will let me adopt.

I don't want a rabbit for fun! I would like another rabbit because although rescues do an amazing job, I know there is never enough love to go around, I've volunteered alongside a dog rescue and it was hard to see, the animals are well cared for, but you can't sit with one bunny all day playing ball because there's 20 others that need you. I'd certainly go for the longest resident who's temperament matches that of my girls.

As with money, it's only £20 per year for vaccines per bun as I have them on an annual pet plan which is a fiver a month per bun and has lots of benefits like tooth and nail checks and files. And my insurance is really low like £12 a month for the two, and with every subsequent animal it's less, and they have a fixed excess of £60 until they're 7 because I've had insurance for a number of pets with them for over 15 years.

I'm not jumping in to this blindly... oh and I'm not the type to go for a bun because it's adorable, I got my two off a pts register because they were born deformed, no one bothered to check if they would recover the pet shop just was gunna put them down. So I got them, they were very young babies and had warped skulls and bowed back legs however they are perfect now, they just had to grow a bit, but I wouldn't have minded either way.

Lastly the free range will be a trial, my two free-ranged without supervision as I can't sit out there, however after a discussion on here, they are now supervised by my brother or parents, if the free-ranging doesn't work out (I might bring home a digger) then the run should be big enough, plus indoor time, until I can extend their area, probably through a run around to a patio run.

Last edited:
If the run is attached and accesable at all times and has a cover for bad weather then we would rehome to that setup (providing it is safe etc )
We will also rehome to homes that allow free ranging as long as reasonable precautions are taking with regards to rabbits safety ...although I do know some rescues don't .

However as someone else mentioned you need to be aware that sometimes adding a third bunny to a pair can upset the original bond ... but not always .

That's encouraging, thank you...

Last edited:
As has been said, some rescues might be uncomfortable about the free ranging. But I won't elaborate :shock:

Some rescues might have a problem with you bringing them in too - bringing rabbits indoors and outdoors frequently can cause snuffles. You might want to limit the time they're inside to 30 mins or so, as it really can cause a lot of problems. Don't know if rescues will mind about that though.

Otherwise I can't see any issues! I'm sure the dog/cat are either shut away or well trained and supervised so that the bunnies aren't at any risk when indoors, and the setup should be safe from the dog/cat anyway.

I'd be worried about introducing a 3rd to a bonded pair. I think personally I'd only introduce the trio to the new accommodation once bonded. I'd bond in a neutral puppy pen/cage inside, then move them all outside into the totally new setup - that'll minimise the chance of a failed bond. I've always wanted a boy to go with N&T but in the end I just thought it wasn't worth risking it. That said, it can work really well as long as you give them access to more space slowly, I think that's the key with trios :D

As has been said, some rescues might be uncomfortable about the free ranging. But I won't elaborate :shock:

Some rescues might have a problem with you bringing them in too - bringing rabbits indoors and outdoors frequently can cause snuffles. You might want to limit the time they're inside to 30 mins or so, as it really can cause a lot of problems. Don't know if rescues will mind about that though.

Otherwise I can't see any issues! I'm sure the dog/cat are either shut away or well trained and supervised so that the bunnies aren't at any risk when indoors, and the setup should be safe from the dog/cat anyway.

I'd be worried about introducing a 3rd to a bonded pair. I think personally I'd only introduce the trio to the new accommodation once bonded. I'd bond in a neutral puppy pen/cage inside, then move them all outside into the totally new setup - that'll minimise the chance of a failed bond. I've always wanted a boy to go with N&T but in the end I just thought it wasn't worth risking it. That said, it can work really well as long as you give them access to more space slowly, I think that's the key with trios :D

bringing buns indoors from outdoors and vice versa is only a problem in extreme weather conditions ... at this time of year it isn't a problem ...in winter it can still be done in mild weather as long as heating is off .

When they come in, we leave the door open so they can go out, and if it's horrible weather we leave it open put the puppy-gate up and hang tarp down, so we don't let the rain in, but it's the same temperature as outside :D or, if it's really really cold, like when it snowed, we go into the brick shed and they play in there, but it's not for as long, because it's freeeeeezing, I wish I had a thick coat like them sometimes :lol::lol:

I just get so worried that I'll miss them peeing/pooping because there's two of them that I feel the need to bring them in to make sure they're okay, and that there's no sneezing etc.

I was considering moving them in as a trio to the new hutch, I will look in to that more. I could probably bond them in the new run, as it will be big enough for them to escape each other if needed, and it will be neutral. I know that it might not work, however I'd love to try to take on a new bun, but I still have a lot to think about.

Having said that I am quite positive, as my girls have bonded with my dog and cat (the four sit there grooming each other and playing with tennis balls, you'd never think they'd be enemies in the wild)... but given all this the buns are still as close as ever :D :D

Back