• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My own personal Zoo

quarterbunny

Young Bun
Hi there!

Well I figured I would share a story and let ya'll meet my critters...

When I was a child there was a recital for my kindergarden class that each student would choose what career they wanted to be in the future. I said "I want to be a veterinarian" so they dressed me up in a lab coat, put a stethoscope on me, and had me sing about my future job onstage... 5 year old me, tripped on a mic wire during my set, fell flat on my face, but I popped up and pretending the little stuffed dog I was holding was hurt from the fall soldiered on and pretended to fix him during the final bit... and so my love affair with animals began. I grew up on a ranch, I was riding horses, feeding cattle, (the image you see of the american cowboy... yup that is how I grew up) Animals were part of my daily life, and I loved it. I started rabbits when I was twelve.... and went from there, I have had rabbits ever since, I will be 30 this september. I rescued a beagle with my fiance' her name is missy, and am currently watching my mothers dog chili... Missy went into heat, so I seperated the two dogs, and put Chili clear on the other side of the house, one day I went to the grocery store across the street from my home, was gone 31 minutes. Chili had been secured in a heavy duty steel dog crate. I come home, and dang if I didn't catch them two. he had bent the bars on the crate, chewed through three oak doors to get to her (I gotta get a camera to show the damage because I was shocked. he chewed through not just the door, but the actual frame people.... Missy had her pups this past mothers day, all were placed into great homes, except the three I kept. I have sherman my kitty, the neighbor moved and dumped him, so he found his forever home with us, he sleeps with the dogs, the rabbits, and with my two rats charlie and max. here are some pictures of what I call My own personal zoo!

one of my bunnies Dude who recently passed, I have pictures of the rest but they are all hardcopy pictures and I don't have a scanner

Here are my puppies! The big blue merle with all the white is my mom's dog Tank, and the blue merle with all the ticking is millie, and the black one is raven

Here is the princess my husbands babygirl Missy

Here is missy's favorite place.... sleeping in our bed, if you look you will see something else, a tiny kitten in her arms... we fostered this kitten for a bit, missy loved her. Missy always sleeps with her head on the pillow tucked in with us, That is my husband napping.

Here is Chili!

here is Mad Max

And here are a few of charlie

Charlie watching TV with me

Charlie in the blankie on the back of my couch

Charlie Nomming on yummy treat

Very cute...but as others have mentioned, the font makes it very hard to read. I couldn't read any of it.

You have a lovely zoo, such pretty pups!! I would love one dog but wonder if I could deal with all the work (mainly the cleaning up of fur) ha ha, nevermind 4

Lovely pets :love:
I love the one of your husband asleep with the dog :D She looks so pretty!
And the one of the rat in charge of the remote :lol:

Aaaw. I love the one with your husband, dog and tiny kitten. So sweet.

Do the dogs get on OK with the rats? My cats and bunnies get on fine but I keep the cats away from the guinea-pig due to him being so much smaller. Wondered how it was with dogs and rats?

My dogs get along just fine with my rats, the rats run all over my bed and since the dogs get on the bed, the rats just climb all over the dogs, and the dogs just lay there, or roll on their backs, missy licked charlie for half an hour one day grooming him, very sweet

My dogs get along just fine with my rats, the rats run all over my bed and since the dogs get on the bed, the rats just climb all over the dogs, and the dogs just lay there, or roll on their backs, missy licked charlie for half an hour one day grooming him, very sweet

Sounds really lovely. My buns and cats get on like that - they live very harmoniously. Visitors are often surprised to see the way they relate. When my finances improve I would love to get a dog and am really hoping that with training s/he will just fit in with the cats and buns.

We just introduce our animals slowly, if aggression presents we correct and try again. Teaching the "Leave it" command to dogs works really well when trying to introduce new animals.

you teach the command by placing a treat in front of a dog that is lying down, about a foot from his/her paws... and when they try to go after it, you don't allow them and tell them firmly, "Leave it"... you keep this up daily until you can lay the treat down and walk clear away from it, and when they move, you give the leave it command and they respond on their own. When we introduced the dogs to the rats on neutral ground in the living room, every time missy or chili got near them, and started getting rough, we gave the leave it command... they learned to play gingerly with the rats and sleep with them pretty quickly doing that.

We just introduce our animals slowly, if aggression presents we correct and try again. Teaching the "Leave it" command to dogs works really well when trying to introduce new animals.

you teach the command by placing a treat in front of a dog that is lying down, about a foot from his/her paws... and when they try to go after it, you don't allow them and tell them firmly, "Leave it"... you keep this up daily until you can lay the treat down and walk clear away from it, and when they move, you give the leave it command and they respond on their own. When we introduced the dogs to the rats on neutral ground in the living room, every time missy or chili got near them, and started getting rough, we gave the leave it command... they learned to play gingerly with the rats and sleep with them pretty quickly doing that.

Useful information - thanks. Don't think it would work with my cats and the guinea-pig though so I make sure they never meet.

Must be lovely having a house full of different animals who all live together happily:love:

Back