• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

are Millies lumps tumours or related to the nodular myxi she had last year ?

barbara forster

Warren Scout
Hi,
I rescued Millie from a forgotten garden hutch year before last. I took her to be spayed but vet refused because she was very overweight. She was also nest building and very hormonal. She is partnered with Edward. The next time she was booked in it was cancelled again as she was having a phantom, and the time after that. Since then she has still been having the phantoms and again has been booked in for spaying but for different reasons and other buns being ill it has never happened.

Last year, even though she was vaccinated under the old vaccine she still contracted Nodular Myxi. She was fine all the way through it except she had lumps all over her body which eventually scabbed and fell off. She does have some scarring from the lesions around her eyes which were really bad and on her ears and odd ones on her back.

We went to the vets last week to discuss spaying and the vet said to let him have a think and discuss with other vets as she has some what feels like jellylilke lumps about the size of small pea on her chest, sides and abdomen. The vet thinks these may be small tumours coming from either a uterine tumour or ovarian tumours. Another possibility is that they could some sort of nodular condition from the myxi. Just wondereing if any one has experience of any repercussions later on from nodular myxi.

I will speak to the vet again next week. He wants another examination and feel of her as is not sure if the lumps are in the skin or muscle under the skin. He is suggesting GA for xrays. and to remove a lump for biopsy. If the lumps are just in the skin he can get it with local anaestetic. if in the muscle then will have to be GA as deeper and cant risk her moving while he is doing the procedure.

I know because of her hormonal history there is a strong possibility it could be tumours.
However I need to know if anyone has heard of this after a bun has had the nodular myxi

thanks

Java had nodular myxi a couple of years ago and I was still finding teeny lumps for around 18 months, but they were just the occasional one here and there and very very small.
Presumably a biopsy would tell you fairly quickly, even just putting a needle in one of them - myxi lumps, as I'm sure you noticed, are really hard and solid, whereas presumably tumours or scabs or anything else would be softer/liquid filled?

I hope Millie's lumps are just leftover skin scarring, poor thing sounds like she's been through a lot without cancer too.. :(

That reminds me of what Marshall the foster bun had a couple of years ago. He had lots of small pea like lumps, but one main lump on his leg. It grew too quickly before we could have it removed. It was a type of cancer, I forget the name now. It spread :cry:

How long have Millies lumps been there for? I hope it's related to the myxi and not cancer. Sending lots of vibes for Millie xx

:( No experience or advice Barb, but got everything crossed for Millie that it is nothing nasty and you can go ahead with her spy (I know how hard you have tried to get her booked in for it) xxx

They are.more soft and jelly like. The vet said he has never felt anything like them before
She had ths myxi about a year ago then the new vaccine in november. She has had the lumps a couple of weeks. I know there is a strong likelihood it is tumours and xrays and biopsy will tell.
On the other side I am thinking we vaccinated a bunny who had had nodular myxi with the brand new vaccine si is something strange happening ? X

They are.more soft and jelly like. The vet said he has never felt anything like them before
She had ths myxi about a year ago then the new vaccine in november. She has had the lumps a couple of weeks. I know there is a strong likelihood it is tumours and xrays and biopsy will tell.
On the other side I am thinking we vaccinated a bunny who had had nodular myxi with the brand new vaccine si is something strange happening ? X

Java had the new vaccine in February and I didn't notice any side effects, but I suspect the number of bunnies who have had nodular myxi is so small that you're not likely to find much experience to draw on...

Thank you.
We went to Alans this morning. The plan was xrays first and if he seen obvious nasties he would stop there. He said the xrays were ambigous. There was something there but he didnt think it was tumours. He was thinking that the lumps were secondary tumours. Next he took samples of the lumps and the thing he seen on the xray. He said there was a lot of milk being drawn up and he is now thinking it is hormonal, maybe milk become infected (is that mastisis ? i dont know?).
Millie was up and about within half an hr and is back to her usual self tonight.
I have been giving her plenty of the berrymix I make up for Sooty, and she licks it all up out of the bowl. I did say to Alan today that the lumps didnt feel as prominent. I am wondering if the berries antitoxidant properties are making a difference.
Its the horrible wait now for the biopsy results.
If they come back nasty :-(
If they come back not cancerous we all agree that she needs to be spayed. Everytime she has been booked in its been cancelled.
As she is very hormonal we have tried to time in inbetween the phantoms but she seems to be like this the majority of the time. It may be that she will have a hormone implant to shrink and calm everything down before spaying. thanks for your support xx

Thank you.
We went to Alans this morning. The plan was xrays first and if he seen obvious nasties he would stop there. He said the xrays were ambigous. There was something there but he didnt think it was tumours. He was thinking that the lumps were secondary tumours. Next he took samples of the lumps and the thing he seen on the xray. He said there was a lot of milk being drawn up and he is now thinking it is hormonal, maybe milk become infected (is that mastisis ? i dont know?).
Millie was up and about within half an hr and is back to her usual self tonight.
I have been giving her plenty of the berrymix I make up for Sooty, and she licks it all up out of the bowl. I did say to Alan today that the lumps didnt feel as prominent. I am wondering if the berries antitoxidant properties are making a difference.
Its the horrible wait now for the biopsy results.
If they come back nasty :-(
If they come back not cancerous we all agree that she needs to be spayed. Everytime she has been booked in its been cancelled.
As she is very hormonal we have tried to time in inbetween the phantoms but she seems to be like this the majority of the time. It may be that she will have a hormone implant to shrink and calm everything down before spaying. thanks for your support xx

Sounds more promising than cancer, hopefully you'll be able to resolve it *fingers crossed*

Back