• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this enclosure okay?

Coggit

Young Bun
Hey there,

So Harry would be a house rabbit. The majority of the time he'll have access to his room, the hallway, the living room and kitchen. At night, he'll be in "his" room, but not confined to the enclosure (it's 100% rabbit proof!). However, we're looking for an enclosure for him for when on the odd occasion we do need to put him in there (cleaning, etc).

We're looking at this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easipet-Fab...e=UTF8&qid=1374842848&sr=1-5&keywords=dog+pen

has anyone used this and what is their experience with it? What we like about it is that it flatpacks and also has a floor (easier cleaning!). But the floor can be removed for outside etc.

Thanks for any advice :)

I have not had this pen but I had a carrier made out of the same stuff and it got destroyed :(

I would just go for the puppy pen panels, they flatpack away too. Is there any reason you would need a floor in the pen?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/puppy-pen

Then you can make the pen up to whatever size and shape you need at the time.

I have one of these which I use for bonding.

They are relatively small and would not really be suitable as an enclosure for any great length of time, also a chewer may make light work of it, but if its just for confining for short periods for cleaning it would be ok.

You may find puppy panel pens more suited as you can make it any shape size you require and could also use for supervised playtime outside.

I'd get one of the easipet puppy pens if I was you. They're flexible and easy to use. And can't be chewed!

I have house rabbits, and they would be out of that in no time - Truffles would take about 30 seconds to chew a nice big hole sadly. Perhaps it depends if you have a chewer.
If we need to confine them, we use a 4 ft high puppy pen which folds flat when we don't need it. They haven't jumped that - yet! It's heavy, but as it folds flat it doesn't take up too much space.

Hey there,

So Harry would be a house rabbit. The majority of the time he'll have access to his room, the hallway, the living room and kitchen. At night, he'll be in "his" room, but not confined to the enclosure (it's 100% rabbit proof!). However, we're looking for an enclosure for him for when on the odd occasion we do need to put him in there (cleaning, etc).

We're looking at this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easipet-Fab...e=UTF8&qid=1374842848&sr=1-5&keywords=dog+pen

has anyone used this and what is their experience with it? What we like about it is that it flatpacks and also has a floor (easier cleaning!). But the floor can be removed for outside etc.

Thanks for any advice :)

That's what you think! :lol:

I have one of these which I use for bonding.

They are relatively small and would not really be suitable as an enclosure for any great length of time, also a chewer may make light work of it, but if its just for confining for short periods for cleaning it would be ok.

You may find puppy panel pens more suited as you can make it any shape size you require and could also use for supervised playtime outside.

Well, we didn't want anything too big as it is going to be up all the time in the room (open all the time), so want to make sure he has a lot of "free space" in the room. I'll look into more metal ones.

That's what you think!

:lol: Well, there is nothing he can hurt himself one ^_^

You could just get a dog crate and then leave it up all the time as a nice den for him - he could sleep inside or on top. Then when you clean the room (which I assume will only take 15 minutes or so?) you could lock him in the crate.
Just a suggestion! If you were leaving him in there for longer periods of time it obviously wouldn't be big enough. But if it's only for short periods it'd take up less space. However, a puppy pen would be great because you could pop it up in the garden as well. :D

I think I'll do that actually. My main concern is making sure the room gets the most attention as he'll be in there a fair bit - during the night and during the rat's free range time. Also when we're at work, but my partner comes home every lunch time, so he'd get some time out then too (although I've just finished uni, so he'll be out all day at the moment!).

As others have said, the fabric one is easily nibbled.

Dog crates make a good base to shut them in temporarily, but not for long. I personally find them noisy though due to the base.

If you want something that looks a bit more substantial and a bit less out of place in a house, whelping pens work well: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHELPING-..._Steamers_Cookers_PP&var=&hash=item5af1a0e6bb.

You can get bigger ones, such as: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Lar...tchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item1c34ea67da

They're more expensive, but definitely worth a look at if it's something you'll be looking at every day :D

Back