• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying/Neutering Litter Mates - Help!

Meggles

Warren Scout
Okay so I've looked for hours but can't seem to find an answer to my question(s) so I thought I'd ask you guys..
I'll be acquiring one male and one female in two weeks who are litter mates and I'm wondering what to do about spaying/neutering them. I know it definitely needs to be done with both of them but I have a lot of questions as I've never kept litter mates before..
-How long do I wait? Is it a case of the sooner the better? (The general vibe I'm getting everywhere is yes, but I still thought I'd ask)

-Should I have them both done at the same time? I know with them being brother and sister they'll feel a lot more comfortable going to the vet together, but am I right in thinking my buck will become fertile and ready for neutering a while before my doe? I don't really want to have to separate them for an extended period of time as they're already so well bonded.

-How long am I able to keep them together with hardly a risk of bonus bunnies? They'll be 8 weeks when I get them, and want them to get used to their new environment together.

They'll both be house bunnies and I have plenty of space to house them separately if needs be but they're so close to each other I fear I might upset them doing that. I don't think I could handle bonus bunnies though should an accident happen! Ah!

-How long do I wait? Is it a case of the sooner the better? (The general vibe I'm getting everywhere is yes, but I still thought I'd ask)
yes :thumb:

-Should I have them both done at the same time? ............ but am I right in thinking my buck will become fertile and ready for neutering a while before my doe?
You're right, the buck can be neutered as soon as his testicles descend at around 3 months. The doe can't be done until 5 or 6 months.

-How long am I able to keep them together with hardly a risk of bonus bunnies? They'll be 8 weeks when I get them, and want them to get used to their new environment together.
I believe if you have the male ASAP then it will be ok to leave them together, but your vet should be able to tell you for sure.

Have you thought about rescuing a pair? They will already be neutered/spayed and bonded and you'll be providing a much needed second chance :wave:

yes :thumb:

Have you thought about rescuing a pair? They will already be neutered/spayed and bonded and you'll be providing a much needed second chance :wave:

If you want young bunnies rescues also have lots of young bunnies too!

It depends on your vet. The rescue I got my Annabella from neuters litters together at 15-16 weeks, but she has a good rabbit vet that is experienced in doing the operation at this age. This means she keeps the litters together and they don't have to be separated at all.

Otherwise, the male should be neutered as soon as the testicles descend (you have to check them every day) and the female as soon as your vet will do it (usually 4-6 months).

Depends on the breed too, as some vets have a minimum weight the rabbit should be before neutering.

So basically, you need to get a decent rabbit vet and ask them, because it varies from vet to vet :D

Back