• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits wee smells very odd

DemiS

Warren Veteran
At the moment I have Baby staying with me (currently living by herself), and the trio as usual. Both are on the same bedding, almost exact same diet, but whereas the trio's wee smells normally, like ammonia, Baby's smells odd. It's like an almost sweet smell but nasty at the same time, hard to describe :? Does anyone know what I mean? Or know what it could be?

I did put some beaphar cage granules all around her hutch before putting bedding in last time I cleaned her out, but they're supposed to stop the hutch smelling as bad, not make it worse :? And I put some in the trio's litter trays anyway and they don't smell any different

Have you checked their scent glands? Nutmeg is smelling a bit at the moment (keep getting whiffs, lovely :mrgreen:) and I know her glands need cleaning out so I think thats why.

Have you checked their scent glands? Nutmeg is smelling a bit at the moment (keep getting whiffs, lovely :mrgreen:) and I know her glands need cleaning out so I think thats why.

I'll have a good look tomorrow, yesterday I checked her bottom and didn't notice a smell though. It's the hutch itself that has an odd smell, I'm assuming its wee because the smell is closer to that than it would be to droppings

no idea I'm afraid, my two had fishy wee for a week and then it just disappeared. The vets had no idea what it was either

the most likely cause is probably a urine infection but you'll have to see what the vet says. Is her wee a funny colour or thick at all?

the most likely cause is probably a urine infection but you'll have to see what the vet says. Is her wee a funny colour or thick at all?

What symptoms would there be for that? She doesn't seem like she's in pain, she's acting the same as she always does. And not that I've noticed, I'll go out in a bit and have a good look

Maybe you're "used" to the smell of your trios wee with them being spayed, so her wee smells different because she's not spayed?

I got used to not really smelling the wee after Misty was spayed, but when I got Lola the smell hit me again like a ton of bricks :lol: ewwww bunny wee :mrgreen: also, the randy bunny smell, yuck :mrgreen:

Maybe you're "used" to the smell of your trios wee with them being spayed, so her wee smells different because she's not spayed?

I got used to not really smelling the wee after Misty was spayed, but when I got Lola the smell hit me again like a ton of bricks :lol: ewwww bunny wee :mrgreen: also, the randy bunny smell, yuck :mrgreen:

She is quite randy :shock: I never considered that, although I've looked after two females that were unspayed and didn't notice the smell then :?

Back