• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stray rabbit- U/D more pics added.

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Me, Steph182 and her friend have spent 2 days trying to catch a stray rabbit. Finally me and Steph's friend caught her by cornering her. Her friend has her at the moment, she is unwanted by her owners so will need a new home. She will no doubt be unspayed and won't be vaccinated. She seems in peak condition (after living for weeks on an all natural diet!) she doesn't seem to have any health problems and is the most laid back bun I have ever met. She wasn't bothered about hopping out of the bushes to graze whilst we were chattering on loudly. :lol: After catching her and putting her in a temp cage, she has been flopped out munching hay and accepting treats from the hand.
She really can't stay where she is long, the cage is very small (the girl only owns guinea pigs) and I only have a small hutch spare that wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Could anybody offer rescue space for this girl? I would be happy to do a bunny run and can offer a donation should anybody choose to come forward and give her a place. I would be very surprised if she was in rescue long, she has certainly captured my heart. :love: :love:

I apologise for the poor quality of the pics, I only had my phone with me.

Last edited:
Even if anybody has a spare hutch/cage that is big enough to house her for more than a few days, it would be very helpful. :(

Bump. This girl really can't stay in the cage she is in for more than a few days. Can anybody suggest anything?

My Mam has suggested I keep her here. I have a spare wendy house that I was to use for 2 potential fosters (My parents were not happy). Tbh, I can't really afford another rabbit, but if I can get a rescue to help out with vet costs, I'd be more than happy to foster her.

I just need to make sure the wendy house will be fit for a rabbit..I got it second hand and in bits, so I'm hoping it isn't rotten or anything!

just a thought- is there any chance she is pregnant by wildies at all?

No. There are no wildies around here. Some :censored: killed every last one with their dogs. :cry: :cry: I will of course be very vigilant, who knows if she has got into a garden with an entire buck, or something. She certainly doesn't look or feel pregnant, but she will be getting vaccinated and health checked by my vets ASAP.

Looks like she is coming tomorrow afternoon. I am not really looking forward to it, I tend to get very stressed out because I know that I can't give her a brilliant life as a foster. My rabbits live in my room, and I feel so bad having to keep her in less than perfect accommodation. :cry: Not to mention that I can't really afford to get her spayed, I'd never forgive myself if I paid out to get her spayed and either she or one my own buns got ill and needed an emergency vet appointment. I will get a quote when I get her vacced and see if I can save up, but that's difficult on £99 a week. :roll:
I don't think my parents would allow her to stay long term, however. :?

She really is lovely. I hope I can find her a home soon. Just going from personal experience I may well have her for well over a year.

aww hun! at least she is safe with you though and not left out to the elements or foxes! if i think of a rescue that will take her i'll post:wave:

aww hun! at least she is safe with you though and not left out to the elements or foxes! if i think of a rescue that will take her i'll post:wave:

Thank you. :) I am going to get her here and sort her out and then post up on a few groups and contact some rescues myself when I can. Yes, I'm glad she is safe now. Dogs were chasing her and she was living in amongst rubbish, it really wasn't safe for her. :(

Hopefully I can get this playhouse up without a problem and get a secure run attached to it. My run isn't really fox (or human) proof as my buns only go out when somebody is in to supervise.

I will post better pics of her when she comes here. Her face is just so lovely, somebody must want too offer her a home! :love:

My word she is gorgeous! :love: Who could possibly give away such a sweet bunny? :(
I hope a forever home can be found for her. You are so kind to help her out, VB. :)
I wish I lived there, :( I love black/lop bunnies.

Hello, thank you for the comments. :)

Well..I have her. Steph and I have spent the whole day shopping for things and trying to make the play house fox proof. It really isn't at the moment but I am going to put a 6x6ft run in front of the door so that a fox couldn't get in. I am going to put a bolt and a catch with a padlock on the door to make it 100% safe from people and animals tomorrow. I am in all night and will be in tomorrow so I will be checking on her house constantly because I'm so paranoid.
The roof needs some felt but I couldn't find anywhere that did less than 8m rolls so she just has a tarp over the roof for now. Would this be ok to pull down the front of the house or would it get too warm in there for her overnight? I would feel more comfortable with the tarp down so no foxes can look in.
I have not had outdoor rabbits before (not for years anyway!) and so any tips would be very helpful!

We have decided to name her Shadowfax. :love: She has not been spooked by us hammering and making lots of noise; she has been sat in the run on her carry case watching us through the whole thing. :lol: She has had a lot of upheaval in passed few days and is completely nonplussed about it..I've never met such a laid back bun!

I know it isn't big enough, but it's hopefully only temporary and I can always put up some shelves for her to sit on.

This is her play house from the outside. The tarp is folded in half and would easily be put down the front. The window on the right has been replaced with mesh for some air and because the window was broken. I'm going to put another piece of mesh on the inside to make sure no foxes can get in. I also have some netting to put over to stop flies getting in.

I will post some piccies of her in the run and the play house soon, so you can get a better idea of her. I think she is still a baby, and I have no idea on her breed. All I know is that she is gorgeous and it looks like I have acquired another helicopter bun! :lol:

Here are some better pics of her, whilst I was sat there, she was coming over and nudging me and was happy to sit and let me give her nose rubs.

She only looks like a baby still to me. Maybe 5-6 months? I probably won't ever know, but I hope she doesn't grow much more! :shock:

Bless her, she looks so happy despite all she's been through :love: Going on how warm my playhouse has been getting lately, i'm not sure i'd put the tarp all the way down but I totally understand not wanting foxes peering in :(

Gorgeous bun! Im in need of a female bun as the rspca just paired off the bun I was hoping to adopt , but I thik you are too far x

Bless her, she looks so happy despite all she's been through :love: Going on how warm my playhouse has been getting lately, i'm not sure i'd put the tarp all the way down but I totally understand not wanting foxes peering in :(

Yeh, I've been advised not to because of the warmth. It was quite cool earlier on, but now the wind has dropped and because it's clouded over, it is a really warm and humid night. I've moved her carrier against the door because she has been sitting on it looking out of the perspex window and I thought she might like the fresh air from the meshed window.

I've put the run right up against the door so there is no way anything can open the door. The only concern I have is a fox getting on top of the run and ripping off the mesh on the window. I've left the top hatch of the run open and that is against the house door so that nothing can stand on top of it.

Shadowfax is definitely trying to figure her way out of there, I hope she isn't too unhappy with being cooped up. After all that freedom, she must feel quite confused as to why she is suddenly caged. :(
She is such a smart bunny and would really need to be a free range bun. I can see her being a digger and an escape artist!

Gorgeous bun! Im in need of a female bun as the rspca just paired off the bun I was hoping to adopt , but I thik you are too far x

Ah yes, sorry to hear that. I read your thread but yes, you are too far really, plus she hasn't been vaccinated or spayed. I'd definitely suggest getting a doe that has already had that done otherwise you'd be paying out for the spay and having to wait over 6 weeks until you could bond her with Benji. x

Where abouts are you moi? Theres usually a few people that will try and help in transporting.l! If I can I will :)

She is adorable :love: and I admire you getting sorted with somewhere for her after having no luck elsewhere, good on you!

Back