• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel like flies are taking over

marchi1990

Mama Doe
I clean out Bella's and Pepper's hutch every day. This includes a litter box change and clean out and a good sweep/spray of antibacterial solution.

But, everytime I open their hutch at least 5 flies come flying out.

I don't know what else to do, I am so worried because the flies have clearly set up shop.

On the weekend I am performing a deep cleanse - ie scrubbing with a hose.

Anything else I can do??

Ive bought Rearguard for my lot.

Im doing a full daily muck out and then spraying vinegar solution on the walls.

Today Ive bought some fly nets to put up and also those sticky fly paper things, Im going to see if I can suspend them from the shed roof.

The shed hasn't been below 18 deg for weeks now overnight and during the day we have been as high as 32deg.

We get those sticky fly strips. They also aren't nice to look at but they're cheap and they help. We have a few dotted around the room and then one on the side of the crate.

Just put 3 sticky paper thingys in the shed, OMG how sticky!! Ive sort of hooked them round stuff as I am paranoid about them coming off and the rabbits finding them.

Also put the fly net things up, one on the door top half only so they cant nibble then the other piece Ive put over the window double thickness.

Then good muck out and liberally sprayed with vinegar soloution . I will win the battle of the fly! I shall be triumphant.:lol:

Just put 3 sticky paper thingys in the shed, OMG how sticky!! Ive sort of hooked them round stuff as I am paranoid about them coming off and the rabbits finding them.

Also put the fly net things up, one on the door top half only so they cant nibble then the other piece Ive put over the window double thickness.

Then good muck out and liberally sprayed with vinegar soloution . I will win the battle of the fly! I shall be triumphant.:lol:

:lol::lol:

I keep walking into them and then sticking to myself :evil:

I've used those sticky things before in the past, they last like two days before they dry up and the flies can end up flying off them!!! :censored:

I've been lucky this year that the flies are down to a minimum and have hardly entered my bunnies kennel... possibly because I've been feeding them lavender every day?! :shock: Who knows!

I've used those sticky things before in the past, they last like two days before they dry up and the flies can end up flying off them!!! :censored:

I've been lucky this year that the flies are down to a minimum and have hardly entered my bunnies kennel... possibly because I've been feeding them lavender every day?! :shock: Who knows!

Really? Mine have been up for weeks and I'm still sticking to them so I'm more than sure the flies are. They're the cheap ones too.

Sooo whats this about lavender?? Should I be buying a plant and putting it in the shed or do you buy certain ones that are safe for rabbits to eat.

The only thing with those sticky fly things is that the girls live n a hutch/run so they don't have the height in the toilet area to fix it.

I planted masses of lavendar next to bunny hut and also use lavendar essence in their bottle of Virkon S which I use to spray the hut when cleaning out. I also use hemp bedding in litter trays (very thick layer) as this has citronella added which really smells lovely and does a good job keeping flies away as it keeps wee wee smells to a minimum. I then spray the whole hut outside (not on buns at all) with horse fly repellent that smells really strong but again keeps flies away.

I've used this method for a few years now with my four bunnies and it seems to work really well :wave:

Hope this helps

I planted masses of lavendar next to bunny hut and also use lavendar essence in their bottle of Virkon S which I use to spray the hut when cleaning out. I also use hemp bedding in litter trays (very thick layer) as this has citronella added which really smells lovely and does a good job keeping flies away as it keeps wee wee smells to a minimum. I then spray the whole hut outside (not on buns at all) with horse fly repellent that smells really strong but again keeps flies away.

I've used this method for a few years now with my four bunnies and it seems to work really well :wave:

Hope this helps

Sounds like a good method - what is Virkon S?? Also, could you provide a link to the hemp bedding?

The lavender thing seems to work.. I have 2 HUGE lavender plants growing at the side of their run and have only seen one or two flies lurking any where near the shed and run set up...Loads of bees though.... i would guve lavender a thumbs up!:thumb:

Back