• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I bond these two?

DaniM

New Kit
Have a 12 week old unneutered male, Bucks, who I took in with his sister, so no need to bond. She dug her way out of our garden one day 3 weeks ago and we haven't seen her since! We were all devastated and Bucks became really lonely.

I took in a 14 week old unspayed female (PS they are both booked in so won't stay this way for long!) and am slowly introducing them - they share a large hutch which is now sectioned off so they are separate and I swap them around each night so they get used to the scent of the other.

I have them out in the garden at separate times but they can interact through the wire mesh of the hutch, they are very calm around each other and either ignore each other or sniff and move on. I'm wondering how I know it would be safe to intro them without metal in between!

Obviously if I'm standing by I can end any potential mating but what I'm most worried about is dominant/aggressive behaviour / or an unexpected fight breaking out.

We've only had Fizz for a week, she was a bit thumpy and growly at first but has since calmed down and accepts stroking and cuddles, would it be sensible to let them come into contact or shall I wait till theyre snipped and healed next month?

Thanks for your help!

:wave:

I wouldn't put them together right now as they could have babies and the girl is only a baby herself. (Just putting that out there to make sure, even though you sound to be keeping them away from each other!)

I would keep them separate until they are spayed and castrated, then wait another 6 weeks for hormones to die down and any sperm that may still be alive, to die. Then you can start bonding in a small, neutral space :) but you can ask about that closer to the time! :)

Don't put them together! Even if he manages to mount her and you pull him off, he's already done his deed and you could have pregnancy - and rabbits are so fast at it.

Plus if hormones kick off you might have a bad fight, so best wait until both are neutered like Aly&Poppy< said.

Oh thanks so much!

I'll keep doing what I'm doing, keeping them apart and swapping them over and hopefully by the time they're all healed up they might already be friends!
I'll get back to you closer to then for tips and tricks

Thanks again

also- wait for at least four weeks after they are done so hormones die down. the males sperm can remain for that amount of time after a neuter too.:wave:all the best

Back