• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

You should NOT freeze snugglesafe heatpads

You should also try not to drop them - I sent one back as it bulged on heating within a few months of purchase and they said it must have been dropped from a height!

the advice from Scratch and Newton last year was that you CAN freeze them :? did they say why, or what could happen? I froze mine last summer and heated them fine last winter

the advice from Scratch and Newton last year was that you CAN freeze them :? did they say why, or what could happen? I froze mine last summer and heated them fine last winter

I know yeah, I thought someone rang them and they said you could freeze them :? I only froze mine about 3 times as they were only lasting 10 minutes in the heat so just put them away. The ice pod is a hit with the outdoor buns though, first cold thing they acknowledge!

Will be interesting to know why you can't as I don't fully understand the workings of the gel :)

Email snugglesafe and ask them if you want to they have just sent me an email warning me not to freeze them but no reasons why

Just spoken to them they are nothing to do with scratch and newton

They said if you freeze them and then later heat them they can crack or leak

They suggest putting a tupperware tub full of water in the freezer and have recommended that you do NOT freeze the heatpad

I've frozen and heated (not on the same day) loads of times and it seems fine. And i've dropped it lots too. Maybe i have a super doops one? :shock:

It's not advised - snugglesafes have been known to explode when microwaved, and freezing them will add to the pressure on the plastic as it will become more brittle.

Pledge a Pound bought snugglesafes (which are entirely a separate brand to scratch and newton) for rescues last year - a brand now one exploded in the microwave! I would never risk doing anything to damage the casing at all - it's not worth it when you can freeze bottles of water, ice pods etc.

I've frozen and heated (not on the same day) loads of times and it seems fine. And i've dropped it lots too. Maybe i have a super doops one? :shock:

People who smoke will say they have never got lung cancer so it's fine.....just cos something has been fine so far, if there have been warnings not to do it because of safety risks and you ignore that advice then you are gambling.

Here is their reply

Dear Georgina,

Thank you for your email.

Firstly, we manufacture the SnuggleSafe heatpad here in the UK & our in house training dictates that we do not recommend freezing a SnuggleSafe heatpad.

Your call or email, would have certainly been put forward to our technical department and no one here would have recommended freezing one.

Regarding the question you raise, the SnuggleSafe microwave heatpad was designed and tested at room temperature +/- 10 degrees C.

Freezing the disc could render it inoperable, as the polypropylene case could crack and leak its contents when re-heated. Just for reference the contents of a SnuggleSafe is totally inert and non toxic.

If you do re-microwave from frozen, this could produce unpredictable results and possibly damage to the pad.

Any such action is done at your own risk and is not covered by the warranty of the product.

We quite often recommend filling an old tupperware box with water and freezing. This is generally what vets recommend.

You may wish to consider our using our newly launched SnuggleSafe Cool pad (scroll down page from hyperlink).

Kind regards,

Chris,

I get more use out of mine being frozen than I do with it being heated if I'm honest, and as my warrenty is void now anyway I'll probably just carry on as I am

But that's what Loppy Ears said in the first post - she;d contacted the manufacturers and they had advised her not to freeze them.

i meant to both posters ie loppyears and georgeypudding, as previous threads on here had said it was ok to do so, although i never have myself :wave:

That's a shame, as they're perfect fir fittig into my freezer.

I accidentally microwaves an ice pod last year and that exploded.
:shock:

That's a shame, as they're perfect fir fittig into my freezer.

I accidentally microwaves an ice pod last year and that exploded.
:shock:

why did they both have to be pink? :lol: we'll all have to remember this because it gets mentioned in most threads about cooling/hot weather. Maybe it could be made in to a sticky?

third fill a pop bottle of water and then freeze x cheap and easy ( don't totally fill as the bottle could explode in the freezer)

Back