• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is he?

Coggit

Young Bun
Hey,

sorry if this is the wrong forum! I was torn between this section and the "your stories & pictures" section. I've been looking/comparing insurance prices for Harry and I need to put down a breed, but I'm unsure. I've had a look around and haven't seen anything like him.

He has a pale stomach and also a gingery triangle behind his ears on the back of his neck. He's about 5 months and weighs 2.2kg.

Thanks for any help :thumb:

By looking at his face, and you saying he has a tan triangle on the back of his neck I would say he is a Tan, or Tan mix (Tan is a breed of rabbit) His specific color would be known as Chocolate Tan/ or because of the light tummy, Chocolate Otter here is a rabbit color chart for tan variations http://www.nockrabbits.com/Tan.html

Last edited:
the ears remind me of a continental :D i think if he was a conti he'd weigh a lot more than 2kg at 5 months though:lol:

He kind of looks like my bunny but brown and my bunny is black. my bunny is a silver fox so maybe he has a bit of that in him :wave: :D

Also with the gingery triangle behind his neck. my bunny has that :wave:

He is pretty stunning, isn't he? haha :oops:

By looking at his face, and you saying he has a tan triangle on the back of his neck I would say he is a Tan, or Tan mix (Tan is a breed of rabbit) His specific color would be known as Chocolate Tan/ or because of the light tummy, Chocolate Otter here is a rabbit color chart for tan variations http://www.nockrabbits.com/Tan.html

I think maybe a chocolate otter. Totally adorable.:love::love:

I think you could both be right! I've done some googling and he certainly looks like a chocolate otter. Now, perhaps a stupid question; is an otter rex the same thing? as that is the only otter PetPlan has.

Otter is a colour type, not a breed! It's where's a solid colour blends to a white colour on the underside, going through some kind of brown shading between the two colours. So a chocolate otter simply means a chocolate coloured bunny with a white underside and a brown shading between the two, and a black otter means a black topped bunny with brown shading between the black top and white underside, etc etc.

Personally I would just go for non-pedigree, cross-breed or domestic rabbit, there is usually a non-specific option like that somewhere in the insurance list. Unless you actually got him as a specific breed then he is probably a cross breed of some type, so it will be fine to just put him down as that.

Last edited:
Could he be a Perlfee? The ginger triangle behind his ears makes me think that. I have one and he has the same triangle.

Now I got a side view of him, his breed is Silver (if you click this link you will see a duplicate of your bunny in the middle of the small pic with blue background to the right http://albc-usa.org/cpl/silver.html )

And his color is Chocolate Otter.

In the Silver breed, otters often pop up because of the agouti genes at play, they will also have less sparse white ticking if they are otter colored.... for that reason they are considered color disqualifications at show, and culled from breeders herds.

He really is a stunner, I raise netherland dwarfs and we love otters, and your bunnies color is so pure and clean looking, he is fantastic!

Last edited:
Back