• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed for Blossom following dental

BerryJane

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I am looking for advice please.

Blossom had a dental today. I picked him up at about 3.30pm. On return he has shown no interest in anything. Sitting a little hunched although is staying close to Bramble but not relaxed or chilled

He had a dental a couple of months ago and came back fine and was eating fairly quickly.

I returned to the vets an hour ago and have picked up some critical care and booked an appointment for tomorrow - just in case. I asked whether it had been a busy , dog noisy day as I did wonder whether this may have scared him more, but they said it had been fairly quiet.

I am trying to tempt him with dandelions, raspberry leaves, mushed up SS and carrot shavings but apart from a little nibble on a leaf he is not interested.

I know he may be in pain ( metacam for the day was given to him) but just wondered if this is normal and if so any tips that may help. I dont really want to stress him further by syringe feeding him or returning to the vets - although obviously I will if needed.

Teeth problems are new to me as my others have all escaped such issues so I really would appreciate some of your knowledge.

Thank you in advance. Jane

Hi,

His ears feel the same temperature as Brambles - just right I would say.

I have not seen him drink - he is not a big drinker anyway. I do sometimes syringe him water if it hot.

I am going to give him til 10pm then I will have to syringe him critical care / fluids I think.

I suppose I just want / need reassurance that it can take a while to recover from dentals?!

thanks for your help

Some Rabbits can take longer to recover. He may prefer a bowl to drink from rather than a bottle. Rabbits will often drink before the start to eat after a GA.

Thanks for your reassurance.

They all have bowls as they are free house rabbits. Berry is a good drinker but the other 2 are shockers! Honestly the stress they cause. I think he is fed up with me hovering around him. He has gone into his kitchen cupboard which they use as a hidy hole so he is obviously feeling a stressed. Poor hun.

Thanks again Jane.

Thanks for your care.

Blossom is no better Im sad to say. I syringed some critical care and water in him last night - as best as I could as I am home alone this week. Did some more this morning which was a battle as he knew what was coming... He is off to the vets at 5 tonight.

Have been at work all day so worrying myself silly - he doesnt seem worse and he has moved between upstairs and downstairs but not eating. Bramble thinks Chrsitmas has come early with all these little treats trying to tempt Bloss into eating. I know I have to get him to the vets but do worry that the added stress makes for that vicious circle.
I am off work tomorrow so at least I can be with him through the night and day if needed.

Thanks again xx

Thanks for your care.

Blossom is no better Im sad to say. I syringed some critical care and water in him last night - as best as I could as I am home alone this week. Did some more this morning which was a battle as he knew what was coming... He is off to the vets at 5 tonight.

Have been at work all day so worrying myself silly - he doesnt seem worse and he has moved between upstairs and downstairs but not eating. Bramble thinks Chrsitmas has come early with all these little treats trying to tempt Bloss into eating. I know I have to get him to the vets but do worry that the added stress makes for that vicious circle.
I am off work tomorrow so at least I can be with him through the night and day if needed.

Thanks again xx

I am sorry that he has not improved

What did the Vet say ?

Just back. They gave him an injection to help gut move and metacam. They also syringed quite a bit of critical care in him which was very helpful. Took 2 and he struggled loads - in a way I find it a little blessing that he struggled rather than just lay there.

I have to take him back tomorrow if no improvement. I was getting upset ( as I tend to) so I may have missed something but I dont think she said anything other than - it may be sore still. Dont think they think it is anything other than side effects from yesterdays dental.

He looks so unhappy poor lamb - you can just tell by their eyes dont you think. Bramble is keeping a little distance but everynow and then goes up and licks his eyes. I love them so much but days like today make me wish I had never had them!! Still, I know that at least here with us they will get all they need and more. Bloody expensive though!

Thanks for asking after him xx

Just back. They gave him an injection to help gut move and metacam. They also syringed quite a bit of critical care in him which was very helpful. Took 2 and he struggled loads - in a way I find it a little blessing that he struggled rather than just lay there.

I have to take him back tomorrow if no improvement. I was getting upset ( as I tend to) so I may have missed something but I dont think she said anything other than - it may be sore still. Dont think they think it is anything other than side effects from yesterdays dental.

He looks so unhappy poor lamb - you can just tell by their eyes dont you think. Bramble is keeping a little distance but everynow and then goes up and licks his eyes. I love them so much but days like today make me wish I had never had them!! Still, I know that at least here with us they will get all they need and more. Bloody expensive though!

Thanks for asking after him xx

Hopefully the Metacam will make him feel more comfortable soon. If he had quite a lot of Dental work done and if there was any soft tissue damage from the sharp teeth then it will take a while for things to settle down.

Thanks Jane,

Back to the vets tonight. Had another shot of metacam. He has eaten a few raspberry leaves and does seem brighter in himself so hopefully we may have turned a corner - waiting for an hour in a room full of noisy dogs will not have helped him though! :evil:

I am hoping for a vet free weekend... but with my lot who knows!! :roll: :love:

Back