• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Axa pull out of pet insurance

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure if they do bunny insurance anyway but it just goes to show that there isn't huge profit to be had in pet insurance - so I expect that premiums are once again going to rise along with excesses and exclusions, otherwise pet insurance may end up not existing at all!

What a worry.

I ended up ditching Pet Plan for Exotic Pets, as their premiums are too expensice now. I saved £100, however they do not have life policies for rabbits. That is the risk I have to take. Could not afford £175.00 for Pet Plan. It already costs around £450 a year to insure 4 of my pets.

Was only complaining yesterday that Pets at Home made three reductions on my last claim, totalling £119.50 and I have used the dental allowance, so Mr Bennett is no longer covered for at least 5 months. Going by his previous history, he may end up having another 2 during the 5 months.

:( Much the same vein as BYB. :( I don't think Esme will be getting a companion of her own (she's £168 a year with a £90 excess!) so I can't stretch to a tenth bunny again. If I could be sure P@H would stay at £80 + £75 excess that Dinky has I'd consider it in the future but I just don't think it can stay that low either. I'm going to have to find a way of keeping up with all the policies (all for life) but don't dare take any more on!

Mine are with PAH, at the latest renewal (this month) it has changed to 75 excess plus 10% of the claim. Bertram's is still £81 for life cover. Heather is 10 and her cover for life renewal was £98 with £75 excess plus 10% of claim - which considering her age and the fact that they paid out £1000 last year for her I didn't think was bad - but it does show why there is a problem - people who insure their bunnies are more likely to take them to a vet and opt for treatment, so I can't imagine how on earth they are making any profit given how fragile bunnies are!

Ironically when I first took out two policies with Pets at Home for the first time, Sunshine died suddenly, within the 10 day exclusion period. Obviously I had no idea this was going to happen, it was a very sad coincidence. I was waiting for the cab to take me to the vets anyway, when he passed away. :( My first two died suddenly too, so I assume this is sadly what the insurers rely on.

There will be a time dentals will be completely excluded, as its such a common problem.

My Pets at Home policies always had the £75.00 excess, its only on Mr B's renewal I pay the extra 10 percent, but not on Cutie-pies yet. Her renewal is next month. Both polices went up by about £30 something but I have used both polices near the limit. With three of my previous buns, they never needed to go to the vets, not a days illness. Actually none of my current buns have been seriously ill, its all been dental and statis related, it was the emergency vet costs that were extortionate.

Mine are with PAH, at the latest renewal (this month) it has changed to 75 excess plus 10% of the claim. Bertram's is still £81 for life cover. Heather is 10 and her cover for life renewal was £98 with £75 excess plus 10% of claim - which considering her age and the fact that they paid out £1000 last year for her I didn't think was bad - but it does show why there is a problem - people who insure their bunnies are more likely to take them to a vet and opt for treatment, so I can't imagine how on earth they are making any profit given how fragile bunnies are!

Definitely the issue that's causing the problem. My decision to insure coincided with me being registered with a rabbit vet, the bills were going up because we were getting more diagnosics and more treatments and of course more positive outcomes. Insurance was the way of getting financial backing for this. If everyone who insures follows this path then the insurers can't possibly stay in business. I've claimed about 3 times what I've paid in the past couple of years. It's unsustainable for them and ultimately those of us dependent on insurance:cry:

Back