• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possibly got a dental bun. :(

TheCallyBear

Warren Scout
I am feeling so down right now, I feel like I'm failing.
After everything that happened with Ginny and Flo, and now Eric. :(

Firstly, I'd just like to ask that if possible, could you all take things a little easy on me. Only since last October have
I really started to learn things about rabbits, properly. Before that I was one of "those" owners. You know, those who
give their rabbits 2 bowls of museli a day and keep them alone. I also bought Eric from Pets at Home too. :oops::?
Yeah, basically, I was clueless. But I am learning!!

When Eric was neutered back in January and they checked his teeth whilst he was under. They let me know that his
back teeth were quite overgrown so they clipped them. They never said that they would need doing again.
Stupidly, I didn't think they would. Regarding his diet, Eric eats two handfuls of pellets a day anymore, and he drops weight.
He point blank refuses to eat hay. I have tried nearly every brand. Standard farm hay, supermarket hay, hay for pets, ect.
However, he will eat grass, and boy does he eat a lot of it. So he has a run on grass that is connected via runaround to his hutch.
He also has veg every day, and I buy him apple sticks quite regularly.

**Sorry if this bit isn't clear, I am only repeating what the vet told me. I couldn't really understand him.**
A trip to the vets today for a check up revealed that his front teeth don't grow normally, they grow apart and gradually get further
apart. They don't meet his bottom teeth either, they grow over. His bottom teeth aren't smooth, they are ridged. His back teeth
are nearly touching his gums and therefore, his mouth is in bad shape.

The vet recommended extraction or leaving it and waiting until "something happens." :?

What I wanted to know is what I can do to make things easier for Eric. And whether it would be wise to go for a second opinion
since I'm really not convinced that this guy is spot on. I mean, why would you consider something as drastic as extraction but then
say "or you could leave it." D: But then again, I'm not a vet.

Thank you all so much for listening, I'm praying I don't come across as a bad owner. :'(

I think the Vet was referring to extracting his Incisors due to their malocclusion. I do think it would be a good idea to seek the opinion of a Vet who is very experienced in the management of Rabbit Dental Disease. Your Vet may well be just that, but if you have your doubts then asking to be referred for a Second Opinion is perfectly acceptable.

It may be that getting on top of the problem now rather than 'waiting for something to happen' will mean that the rate of progression of his Dental problems is reduced.

I think the Vet was referring to extracting his Incisors due to their malocclusion. I do think it would be a good idea to seek the opinion of a Vet who is very experienced in the management of Rabbit Dental Disease. Your Vet may well be just that, but if you have your doubts then asking to be referred for a Second Opinion is perfectly acceptable.

It may be that getting on top of the problem now rather than 'waiting for something to happen' will mean that the rate of progression of his Dental problems is reduced.

I traveled 40 minutes to see this one. :( All the vets around here are shocking with rabbits. I thought I'd found one that was rabbit savvy.

That's what I'm thinking. Does anyone have any idea how often it will need to be done and what kind of costs I'm looking at?
I'm very confused, the vet didn't really educate me much. :/

Thank you for your advice though! :D

It's impossible to say how often Dentals may be needed, every Rabbit will be unique in that respect. Some can require them every 6 months, some every 6 weeks. There are many factors to take into account re the specifics of the individual Rabbit's Dental problems.

All Vets set their own fees, so again it is not really possible to give you an exact price. Some may cost £60, some £160. You would need to discuss Fees with the Vet treating your Rabbit.

If you want to find out a bit more about various types of Dental disease and how they can be treated these may be useful to read

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...y1Y9Ee&sig=AHIEtbTAYCPIxhL_Jq6YLLzVPHZbzGUaCQ

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/D_problems1.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

Why don't you post a thread in rabbit chat asking for rabbit savvy vets in your area?

My cousin has a dental bunny.
He had his first dental back in Feb and lasted 3months before he needed his next one.

It all depends on the bunny though xxx

First things first, sorry for not replying quickly! I'm not in the best of health, and pretty much every ounce of energy I have goes towards my animals. :)
I also moved Eric indoors temporarily and I've noticed that he has in fact started eating miniscule amounts of hay. This is from the rabbit who didn't know what to do with hay, so this is a massive positive! I'm so pleased for him. I need to invest in some tasty hay now though!! Especially since they hay that I have was there simply for bedding, since he always refused to eat it. He's even been eating a few strands of hay here and there INSTEAD of his grass. Which is shocking to me. But I'm all for it!! Would Readigrass be a wise option to kinda transfer him from grass to hay or...? Sorryyy sorry, I need to stop asking questions!!

It's impossible to say how often Dentals may be needed, every Rabbit will be unique in that respect. Some can require them every 6 months, some every 6 weeks. There are many factors to take into account re the specifics of the individual Rabbit's Dental problems.

All Vets set their own fees, so again it is not really possible to give you an exact price. Some may cost £60, some £160. You would need to discuss Fees with the Vet treating your Rabbit.

If you want to find out a bit more about various types of Dental disease and how they can be treated these may be useful to read

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...y1Y9Ee&sig=AHIEtbTAYCPIxhL_Jq6YLLzVPHZbzGUaCQ

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/D_problems1.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredIncisorAbnRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

Thank you for replying again, sorry for asking such loose open ended questions.
And thank you so so much for those links, I will read through them as soon as I have a bit more energy, I hope you understand. :c

Why don't you post a thread in rabbit chat asking for rabbit savvy vets in your area?

My cousin has a dental bunny.
He had his first dental back in Feb and lasted 3months before he needed his next one.

It all depends on the bunny though xxx

Hello! :wave: I didn't post simply because there was someone who was very very close by to me post asking for a rabbit savvy vets near them too, and they got no response. But I guess there's no harm in trying again! :D Thank you for the suggestion.
Also, thank you for telling me of your experiences. I definitely need to find a vet that I can stay with, rather than constantly swapping and changing. :)

It would be worth putting your own post on for a vet in your area in case anyone missed the other persons post.

I had a dental bunny (back teeth) and with a good vet most cases can be managed very well (he wouldn't eat hay either no matter what I did or hay I tried :roll: ). I get hay from hay4pets and mine seem to like it and I think they do samples.

I've found readigrass to be a godsend for dental bunnies, where they can't (or won't) eat hay at all. It's managed to keep dental spurs down and of course they love it! I've had a couple of bunnies who've eaten nothing else but ... !

JacksJane, I've tried all those! The only one I haven't tried is the French Hay from Dust Free Hay, so I emailed them last night asking if they'd be willing to do some samples, before I buy a lot at once. :)

I've found readigrass to be a godsend for dental bunnies, where they can't (or won't) eat hay at all. It's managed to keep dental spurs down and of course they love it! I've had a couple of bunnies who've eaten nothing else but ... !

Oh that's definitely a good sign! I'll get some as we speak. I'll mix it in with his hay, maybe persuade him to eat even more!
Thanks so much! :D

It would be worth putting your own post on for a vet in your area in case anyone missed the other persons post.

I had a dental bunny (back teeth) and with a good vet most cases can be managed very well (he wouldn't eat hay either no matter what I did or hay I tried :roll: ). I get hay from hay4pets and mine seem to like it and I think they do samples.

I had hay4pets and he didn't bother with it. Just tossed it around. :roll::lol:
Thank you so much, I'll post there now!

Firstly don't blame yourself! You care very much for your rabbits. We all have to learn what they like & what is best for them so don't beat yourself up about it :)

Regarding what the vet said, honestly I wouldn't know what option to take but I would get a second opinion if I were you. A few weeks ago we took Persie for his first health check & the vet checked him over quickly, not looking at all at ease & she found it hard to tell his sex. She also advised us he wouldn't need vaccinations as he was living indoor. I wasn't satisfied so took him to another vet today to have his vaccination & the vet was fantastic, I could instantly tell he was very rabbit savvy as he give us so much info & handled Persie with ease so I think its very important you get a vet who knows plenty about rabbits.

Good luck :D

Firstly, you don't come across like a bad owner at all. :D

Jane's posted some good links and, as others have said, time between dentals can vary so much. One of my bunnies used to go around 6 mths (or longer) between dentals but other bunnies might need them every 6 weeks or so.

He point blank refuses to eat hay. I have tried nearly every brand. Standard farm hay, supermarket hay, hay for pets, ect.
However, he will eat grass, and boy does he eat a lot of it. So he has a run on grass that is connected via runaround to his hutch.

Grass is just as good as hay for bunnies, both for nutrition and for wearing down teeth -we tend to feed hay because it's impossible for us to provide enough grass for them to eat rather than because it's better for them - so it's really good that he's getting plenty of time on the grass. :D It's still a good idea to try to find a hay that he will eat, if possible, because it can be harder in the winter months to find enough grass so do carry on with offering him different types of hay. Sometimes bunnies take a little while to realise that the hay they've been given is actually tastier than they think. :roll::lol:

Firstly don't blame yourself! You care very much for your rabbits. We all have to learn what they like & what is best for them so don't beat yourself up about it :)

Regarding what the vet said, honestly I wouldn't know what option to take but I would get a second opinion if I were you. A few weeks ago we took Persie for his first health check & the vet checked him over quickly, not looking at all at ease & she found it hard to tell his sex. She also advised us he wouldn't need vaccinations as he was living indoor. I wasn't satisfied so took him to another vet today to have his vaccination & the vet was fantastic, I could instantly tell he was very rabbit savvy as he give us so much info & handled Persie with ease so I think its very important you get a vet who knows plenty about rabbits.

Good luck :D

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm trying not to, I just feel awful that this was something I didn't know before!

See that's the thing, this is the only vet that's supposed to be rabbit savvy around here. It's the one that you've just linked me to in the thread over at Rabbit Chat. :/ So now I really don't know what to do! :roll:

Firstly, you don't come across like a bad owner at all. :D

Jane's posted some good links and, as others have said, time between dentals can vary so much. One of my bunnies used to go around 6 mths (or longer) between dentals but other bunnies might need them every 6 weeks or so.

Grass is just as good as hay for bunnies, both for nutrition and for wearing down teeth -we tend to feed hay because it's impossible for us to provide enough grass for them to eat rather than because it's better for them - so it's really good that he's getting plenty of time on the grass. :D It's still a good idea to try to find a hay that he will eat, if possible, because it can be harder in the winter months to find enough grass so do carry on with offering him different types of hay. Sometimes bunnies take a little while to realise that the hay they've been given is actually tastier than they think. :roll::lol:

Ahhh, thankyou! I have quite bad anxiety and I panic quite instense-ly about what people think about me. :?

Also, I know that grass is amazing for them, and kinda more natural but the issue lies with the availability. He eats so much of it that his run gets bare quite quickly, and while waiting for it to grow back I'm left stuck. Since I'm disabled, it's pretty hard to get out to collect grass from him from fields, ect. Therefore, I could really do with him eating hay in the meantime, and like you say in winter. :)

Back