• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training problem

PrincessPomPom

Warren Scout
We've only had princess PomPom a few days and I've already got her peeing in her litterbox, she originally peed in the corner and I put her litter box there I thought once she'd peed there a couple of times she'd just do all her business there like my previous bunny had but she's still pooing everywhere! I even found some on my bed .____. Everytime she poops I pick it up and put it in her litterbox am I doing something wrong? Should I give it time and just keep picking it up and popping it in her box and hope she gets the idea? She just has a regular small cat litter tray with some newspaper at the bottom and she has no problem peeing in there! She doesn't have a cage just the reign of the 3rd floor so 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.

She will still be getting used to her new surroundings, and everything is all new to her so I would expect her to not use the litter tray for everything straight away.

Is she spayed? Once she is spayed you will probably find that litter training improves.

Fill it with hay :) rabbits like to eat while they toilet so will help enforce that. Picking up the poops and putting them in will help too :)

Rabbits like toileting on soft things like beds, to 'combat' this I bought a waterproof mattress cover and I put that over the duvet and pillows :) then put blankets over the top. It works :p

Try and have your buns litter tray like this -

null_zps1788c2df.jpg

Keep hay around the tray too, this helps with all of mine :) I on,y ever find random poops out of the tray :) you'll also see a massive difference (no peeing/less pooing outside the tray) after a spay as she won't feel the need to mark her territory all the time :)

^this.

Also have you considered getting a litter tray with higher sides, the cat trays are quite shallow and bunnies like to....pee up things... hehe. Might minimise mess in the future :lol:

We found a huge difference after spaying - specifically the sofa which they used to regularly mark, has never been wee'd on since! There's still the odd poo around though, especially if things are moved around or anything new is in the room.
I think the majority of the population would be amazed at how easy it is to litter train a rabbit.

Back