• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to vaccinations

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
Today my two boys went for their vaccination (2nd). My Boy Buster was fine at the vets but when i let him out of the carrier when we got home was a different story.

He was breathing so rapidly has ears were bobbing with his breathing. He started shaking and at this point i thought he was going to have a fit. His hole body was moving. He would lay down then get back up and then lay down again repeatedly. I rushed him back to the vets but by the time we got there it was just the rapid breathing which she put down to being scared.

It scared the life out of me. Has anyone had this happen with their bunnies? I am in two minds about next years now.

Oh gosh :shock: that sounds so frightening. We are bringing Persie to the vet on Saturday for his first vaccination & this has frightened me now. Is your bunny ok now? Did it last long? Could it have been fear or was it some sort of reaction? Big cuddles for your little guy :love:

Buster had his first one with no problems and his Brother Brownie who was vaccinated at the same time today had no issues at all. My other two rabbits had no issues either. Please don't let this scare you with your little bunny. Most rabbits breeze through with no issues.

It lasted about two hours and then calmed down. He is fine now. To tell you the truth i think a lot of it was because it wasn't our normal vets who he knows it was some locum vet. My vets put the boys on the floor to examine them (they like to run around the consult room) this one did it all on the table. I am thinking it was more fear then reaction as we had a different vet and were in a different room to the normal one.

Back