• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house/ separation

Alammalam

New Kit
Hi all,
I'm in need of some advice my boy rabbit who I've had for nearly a year now. the problem is that about a month ago, I took him to a rescue to be bonded for about 3 weeks. During this time we had also moved house.

Sadly, the bonding did not result in a companion and so we picked him back up solo into the new house. He is an indoor rabbit, but for the first few days, he was not the same. He is normally really food orientated, and although he does eat still, he's just not as responsive.

My question is, did he forget about us/ unhappy?
I'm aware it can take some time for him to settle in, but it has been over a week, and he seems settled, but is not the 'same' rabbit. he's more independent and aloof. Also, he has taken to digging/ chewing more often now, especially eating paper (he did not normally care for these activities).

Also, his nose is now pinker, its not massively different, but it is definitely pinker, and i'm worried if this could be anything significant (I looked online and could it be the start of an abscess? As he has spent some time outside during the day at the place he boarded/ during the failed bonding, compared to him spending his life indoors before).

Many thanks in advance for some input.

Although I have not been in this situation, given the disruption he has experienced and the strange weather we are having, I would let him have a bit longer to settle in before worrying too much.

Our bunnies and the fosters with us are all a bit less keen on their food in the hot weather, not to mention that they are all doing crazy moults which can also affect their appetite and general behaviour.

His nose appearing a little pinker may just be that he is flaring his nostrils wider to try to deal with the heat but if there are any snuffly/sneezy sounds or discharge then it could be the start of an infection - prompt treatment with antibiotics for a week or two should deal with it if it is a mild case.

As you've moved house, did the previous occupants have any pets? The house may still smell of unfamiliar animals and this could be unsettling him and causing his digging and chewing behaviours.

Ah ok. That all makes sense. he is better than day 1, but i guess I was just eager to have my little boy back.

No, his nose is fine in the snivelling front, its just pinker, and I thought it seemed larger when i first picked him up. it hasn't gotten any worse.

his teeth seems to be fine, and he does eat without making grinding/ snorting/ snuffling noises so thats a good sign yes?

Thank you for your reply, it has put me more at ease for now :D

rabbits are fantastic at sulking believe me, you're probably being punished for "abandoning" him and destroying his burrow (ie. your old house). Try moving things around and see if the digging stops, mine dig things if they dont like how it is set out and once it's moved everything stops. The paper chewing can be a sign that something isn't right in their tummies, do you know how much hay he was given at the rescue? Trying upping his hay intake and maybe finding some natural forage (bramble, and hawthorn are a good start) to see if that helps. If his tummy is slow that might also be causing the personality change, my Sebastian has serious strops when his tummy is slow and he gets withdrawn

Back