• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eating litter!

Vikki-Rose

New Kit
i'm just wondering if anyone can help my bun Harley keeps eating his litter (and everything in it) and eating out of all the other litter trays (which are also used by Roxie), i'm not sure how to stop him doing it or if it's doing him any good :? never seen a bun eat so much litter before!

Hi :wave: What are you using in the litter trays? I use wood pellet cat litter in mine and have hay in racks above the tray. I've never noticed them eating it, they don't even eat the hay once its fallen into the tray lol! I know a lot of people use newspaper and hay only, or other paper based litter. As long as the litter material is "edible" and won't swell up inside them it shouldn't matter, depending on how much they are eating of course... It might be wise for you to change to using newspaper with hay on top if they are insisting on eating the litter, if you aren't doing this already. Do they get loads of hay too, they might be hungry?

i am using wood pellet cat litter in all of mine, i tried newspaper and he ate it, i give both of them plenty of hay and food. he's eating out of 3 litter trays (his, roxie's and one both of them use) he has plenty to keep him occupied aswell so i don't understand why he's eating litter and poop and pee :? Roxie doesn't touch it. just want to try and make him do it less...without any tantrums! :(

I used to use wood pellets but they never got to see them because I filled their trays with hay. Mine are lined with some sheets of newspaper now (the indoor rabbits have newspaper and fitch absorbent bedding) and full of hay. If they can't see what's under there then they might leave it alone, mine very rarely dig it up.

Are they cleaned out daily? Mine won't eat hay if it's older hay, they love fresh hay so offering that at regular intervals may help.

This is how mine are done, they don't really have the opportunity to get the the lining unless they're in a mood and dig the hay up. Even then they just make a mess!

null_zps1788c2df.jpg

null_zps1a4f3c09.jpg

null_zps6774f65e.jpg

Poppy has the same but she just has a puppy pad which lines her 32L storage box nicely, then hay on top. That is also very absorbent.

Last edited:
they are cleaned daily, but as soon as i clean them harley jumps in and starts eating it, tried newspaper and again he eats it :/ he just eats everything...all i'm worried about is if eating it is bad for him? :?

they are cleaned daily, but as soon as i clean them harley jumps in and starts eating it, tried newspaper and again he eats it :/ he just eats everything...all i'm worried about is if eating it is bad for him? :?

Are you giving a good covering of hay over the litter?

Oh boy. I totally understand your frustration as my Julie use to eat litter. She ate all litter no matter what I used even newspaper. She ate it as if it was dinner. I tried covering it with hay but she dug it out and ate it. Finally I bought ceiling light grate and cut it to protect the litter from her then I covered the grate with hay. I had to make sure the grate was tight or her yanked it out. She didn't eat poo and pee though but loved eating little.

Oh boy. I totally understand your frustration as my Julie use to eat litter. She ate all litter no matter what I used even newspaper. She ate it as if it was dinner. I tried covering it with hay but she dug it out and ate it. Finally I bought ceiling light grate and cut it to protect the litter from her then I covered the grate with hay. I had to make sure the grate was tight or her yanked it out. She didn't eat poo and pee though but loved eating little.

lol it's soooo frustrating!!! he'll tip it all out if theres hay on it, ohhhh i might give ceiling light grate a go! i don't mind the eating of litter (much) it's more the poo and pee and also how much he's eating of it! haha! :lol:

Back