• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thunder worry.

DarceyH

Warren Scout
Ok, so it is 1:18 an here, and I am lying in bed, practically melting, it's much cooler outside then in my stupid house! Smokey is in her hutch outside, it was a waterproof cover on, and is a relatively sheltered part of the garden, right by the house. Anyway, I keep hearing thunder, and I am worried about smokey getting stressed out about it. She is fine if it rains, and is quite fearless of loud noises, but I am still concerned and so much so that along with the heat, abd can't sleep!
Any advice or re assurance would be great. Unfortunately I can't bring her inside, as I don't have an indoor cage, and my parents (and probably dogs) don't want her in the house anyway...

she'll probably be fine, bunnies seem to handle thunderstorms well. my Ben thumps at loud noises so he'll occasionally thump when there's particularly loud thunder but overall mine are ok with it. you might want to make sure she has some hidey holes to bolt into if she gets scared so she'll feel secure :)

My rabbits have only ever heard three Thunderstorms in their life; They aren't bothered a bit. Aeroplanes have been going over everyday since they were born and they STILL panic :roll:

I think she'll be fine, don't worry! :thumb:

Looks like we're in for a great thunderstorm tonight/tomorrow. Lightening going off overhead but no thunder or even sounds. It's just...silence. Not even birds. Kind of creepy..

I think outdoor bunnies tend to cope better with unusual noises, from fireworks, to dog barks, police helicopters etc. they get to hear a lot of different things.

Really loud now!

I hope you are all right, it now sounds like we are in a tropical storm! Feels like it too. I really hone she is ok, but I can't disturb her now, or she probably will freak out... Think it is moving father away now. I really hope so, it's keeping me awake awake!!

Smokey is fine :)

Guess I was worrying over nothing, she seems to be ok, I will keep an eye on her, but she seems good.

Glad she was ok.

Mine are indoors but I was worried about them too (because Peter get scared by loud noises) but like Smokey they were fine.

I on the other hand got no sleep due to the sweltering conditions, noise and worry. I even went to bed with one of the bunnies ice-pods to help cool me down :lol:

Floss seems a cheery bouncy bunny this morning after a night of thunder, lightening and heavy rain.

As others have said, I was hot, sweaty and now very tired from a sleepless night :lol:

Hannah :)

It started thundering here at about 5am this morning, and, after the first clap woke me with a start, I fully expected to her about twenty bunnies (who are boarding with us, and who are indoors) start thumping in unison........but nothing, not a peep, they all totally ignored it :) And some of those thunder claps were fierce :shock:

My rabbits have only ever heard three Thunderstorms in their life; They aren't bothered a bit. Aeroplanes have been going over everyday since they were born and they STILL panic :roll:

I think she'll be fine, don't worry! :thumb:

Looks like we're in for a great thunderstorm tonight/tomorrow. Lightening going off overhead but no thunder or even sounds. It's just...silence. Not even birds. Kind of creepy..

Aeroplanes are the only thing that get mine running for cover in the garden. I think it's because they are like big swooping birds that bunnies fear as predators.

Thunder doesn't bother them in the slightest!:roll:

My 2 if it is a noise they have not heard before are for a second on guard.
As soon as they realise it is not danger they carry on as normal and if hear it again
do not react.They are very sensitive not worried about aeroplanes except the small noisy ones
then they get all alert.I think rabbits best sense is there smell.
Molly sometimes thumps with her nose sniffing and I realise there is a dog quite away in
the field behind.

I hope your bun will be fine.We so far have missed all the storms and rain quite a pleasant day in the north east.

Aeroplanes are the only thing that get mine running for cover in the garden. I think it's because they are like big swooping birds that bunnies fear as predators.

Thunder doesn't bother them in the slightest!:roll:

Gllad to know its not only my lot then :lol:

Lol I was the same when I woke up at 6 this morning and heard that rain and thunder, I was wondering what Buster was making of it all!
When I went to get him in a bit later he was chilling out like nothing had happened, don't think he was bothered at all. Then again, this is the rabbit that will sit in complete calm whilst I hoover around him :lol:

any loud noises and my buns start thmping so if the thunder didn't keep people awake the thumping certainly did :lol:

Relaxed bunny

It's good I know that at least the rabbits were relaxed through it all! That thunder was horrible all night, hopefully it will stay away now, more for my sleeps sake that for the bunnies i suppose!

Back