• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dislocation?

bubsnfudge

Young Bun
my poor bunny, she already has one poorly leg so shes been hopping around using just one front leg, plus we got her cleared of the dreaded fly strike, popped her in the garden to be with fudge for an hour and when i went to check on her she was falling all over the place :cry: picked her up to have a look and her good leg was just flopped across her chest with no resistance whatsoever, she's also got arthitis in one of her hind legs too.

Cant get to a vet tonight so will take her first thing, but im starting to wonder whether its fairer to say goodbye, shes starting to struggle in her old age, when is it time to let go? :cry:

Oh no :( poor bun, is there no way you can get to an emergency vet as that must be so painful and leaving it broken or dislocated for many hours could cause lasting damage if the bone is cutting off blood supply or crushing nerves :cry:

If you really can't, have you got any Metacam? Perhaps you could ring an emergency vet and ask for advice on dosage

I think she needs to see a vet tonight, tbh. She must be in a lot of pain. Have you got any metacam you can give her? If she has arthritis, I presume she is on ong term metacam, could you ring a vet and ask what dose to give her to get her through the night if you can't get her to a vet?

If you look up on YouTube "rabbit with broken legs in wheel chair, you can use a contraption like that, all you do is put to wheels down and have a as two strap you rabbits leg/ arm in the will soo. Shuts to having it on:)

Emergency vets tonight, call you usual vets and they will have an out of hours number.
if it is a dislocation as you think I can tell you it is the most painful thing ever.
I have a joint condition that means I dislocate things very easily.

I have passed out with the pain before, please don't leave her in pain overnight.

This was posted last night and they have not updated yet. I would presume the rabbit was taken to the vets either last night or earlier today. Hopefully the bun got some painkillers and has been treated. :thumb:

Unfortunately the bunny has died :( there is a thread in rainbow bridge I believe x

Edit- Jane got there first x

Oh, what a shame. :( I think the OP was worried about it being her time. I shall comment on the rainbow bridge post. x

sorry i never got back, yes vet said dislocation and fracture (possibly) and that it would be too much to put her through any sort of op due to her age, vet agreed with us that it was time to let her go, im glad i was there with her when she went, the vet said something about them getting 'long bone?' when they get old and their bones get weaker, and due to her other poorly front leg she was putting her weight on that one which possibly made it go.

Thankyou for your concern :)

sorry i never got back, yes vet said dislocation and fracture (possibly) and that it would be too much to put her through any sort of op due to her age, vet agreed with us that it was time to let her go, im glad i was there with her when she went, the vet said something about them getting 'long bone?' when they get old and their bones get weaker, and due to her other poorly front leg she was putting her weight on that one which possibly made it go.

Thankyou for your concern :)

im so sorry to hear of her passing, bibky free lovley
Xxxxx

Back