• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elijah is home

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I've been worried this would happen as he has a mega-moult going on and he's been a bit sorry for himself for about a week.

I've just found him refusing his supper and breathing fast, doing big flops etc.

I'm so worried as he had a full blockage requiring surgery on 16 September last year. He hasn't needed vet treatment for stasis since though had about 1 hour of symptoms, I booked the vet and then he recovered. I so hope he does the same tonight but he's looking very, very sorry for himself.

I'm giving it 'til 10 before I ring the vets as only found him like this 10 minutes ago. ... if he looks much worse then of course he'll go sooner. I can't get him to his rabbit vet as they don't do OOH on a Monday.

Poor boy, I really hate seeing him like this, he's been so much better this last ten months.

Last edited:
bless him, my two were both sick this weekend due to the weather and moulting. Having a fan on them and some meds has righted everything thankfully. Hope Elijah is feeling better asap!

Thanks for the vibes.

He's been admitted. The vet didn't feel there was anything seriously wrong with him but wanted to give him the meds and syringe feed etc to get him kick started. He had gut sounds but they were quiet and the temperature was a little bit low. Despite the fact that I spent ages plucking Elijah last night whilst he was on the vet's table I pulled a huge amount of loose fluff off him. No doubt all of that accounts a lot for why he's miserable, I just hope he hasn't ingested any. The vet said his stomach felt soft and no issues suggesting blockage. I hadn't got a good impression of the vet on the phone as he suggested syringe feeding him and said he wasn't too concerned about a rabbit that hadn't eaten for an hour - neither was I - I was concerned because he was in pain and the reason WHY he wasn't eating!! Anyhow, I felt a lot better after the consultation.

I get to hear at 8.30 to 9.00 as to how he's doing.

Thanks all for the good wishes.

Vet phoned to say that Elijah is more comfortable and bright and has eaten a reasonable amount :D At this stage when he had the blockage he hadn't eaten, so I'm hugely relieved that he's felt like eating. He's had hay, kale (other stuff I can't remember, but really happy they had kale for him). Vet wants to keep him in until he's pooped but anticipates he will he home late afternoon/early evening.

Good to hear he is eating.:D Hope the poo follows soon.

It's occurred to me since speaking to the vet that FHB believes that he eats a lot of his round poops during the day so *maybe* the vet won't see any because the little scamp will eat them and they'll think he's not pooping :shock: I often don't see any between the mid-morning litter tray clean and 9pm.
Hopefully he'll leave a few bits of evidence around so he can come home.

Well, he's been really bright and eating loads, pooping loads so as a result they gave him a bupramorphine (?sp) injection at 4pm even though they felt he was fit to come home :shock: Why? Why? :censored: He is subdued but at least I know he's eaten well during the day. Hopefully he will be less doped later this evening. I wish I'd remembered that they were likely to do this and request that they didn't. Shame, really, I was happy with the care he received bar this one gripe.

It's occurred to me since speaking to the vet that FHB believes that he eats a lot of his round poops during the day so *maybe* the vet won't see any because the little scamp will eat them and they'll think he's not pooping :shock: I often don't see any between the mid-morning litter tray clean and 9pm.
Hopefully he'll leave a few bits of evidence around so he can come home.

:shock: Naughtly boy.

Well, he's been really bright and eating loads, pooping loads so as a result they gave him a bupramorphine (?sp) injection at 4pm even though they felt he was fit to come home :shock: Why? Why? :censored: He is subdued but at least I know he's eaten well during the day. Hopefully he will be less doped later this evening. I wish I'd remembered that they were likely to do this and request that they didn't. Shame, really, I was happy with the care he received bar this one gripe.

What a shame. Hope he is home tomorrow.

What a shame. Hope he is home tomorrow.

:oops: I was so busy ranting I didn't explain myself very well!:oops:

He is home, they just gave him a strong painkiller despite clearing him to come home... I really don't understand as one action contradicts the other. He definitely thinks I am the enemy and has run away from me several times. I've just gone in to see him and he was laid flat out and couldn't see him breathing and he didn't move when I entered his pen, a heart stopping moment. Then he suddenly got up and turned his back on me ... then decided that wasn't a good idea in case I started plucking him again, he really, really hates being tidied up. I think someone at the vets has tidied his moult up a bit as there is a very clear ridge... unless that was my efforts last night.

:oops: I was so busy ranting I didn't explain myself very well!:oops:

He is home, they just gave him a strong painkiller despite clearing him to come home... I really don't understand as one action contradicts the other. He definitely thinks I am the enemy and has run away from me several times. I've just gone in to see him and he was laid flat out and couldn't see him breathing and he didn't move when I entered his pen, a heart stopping moment. Then he suddenly got up and turned his back on me ... then decided that wasn't a good idea in case I started plucking him again, he really, really hates being tidied up. I think someone at the vets has tidied his moult up a bit as there is a very clear ridge... unless that was my efforts last night.

Oh I wasn't sure whether he was home or not.

Plucking fur is a nightmare. I did it to two of mine today, fur everywhere. This heat is awful and I have never seen such moults before.

Sounds like Eiljah is having a bit of a sulk now. Hope he is back to normal tomorrow.

I really don't know what to think:?

He looks very out of sorts. I don't know whether to just put it down to the weather and the moult. Barnaby is moulting big style as well and is coping well and begging enthusiastically, chasing round etc.

Elijah has practically ignored his spring greens just for the last 1/2 hour or so. He's taken a couple of little biscuit type treats off me but not racing around pleased to see me as all the other bunnies have done. He does live upstairs which is marginally hotter but the windows are open and it isn't stifling any more. He just doesn't seem happy but has been a bit out of sorts for a couple of weeks. I'm wonder whether to pop him along to his Aunty Frances tomorrow, if she has any appointments free... I could just be reading too much into it but I know he doesn't cope well with moulting but he's *maybe* more lethargic/grumpy than normal. He has pooped today and they look normal.

All my three don't look happy. Mr B spends all day flopped under a bureau in the hallway, somewhere he never normally lays. Mr B is not eating as much as he normally does either.

The other two go under a shelf in their outdoor accommodation, looking rather miserable in this heat. I put ices cubes in but they were less than impressed.

Hope its just the heat.

All my three don't look happy. Mr B spends all day flopped under a bureau in the hallway, somewhere he never normally lays. Mr B is not eating as much as he normally does either.

The other two go under a shelf in their outdoor accommodation, looking rather miserable in this heat. I put ices cubes in but they were less than impressed.

Hope its just the heat.

Thanks. I'm trying to convince myself of it. I know he doesn't cope well with hot weather or with moulting. It's really pleasant temperature now though, I'll see how he goes for the next couple of hours when he should be lively.... I'm going foraging for him in case he prefers grass etc to cabbage. He has lost 0.1kg too but I'm not sure how long over, maybe 10 months so it may not be at all significant.

Thanks. I'm trying to convince myself of it. I know he doesn't cope well with hot weather or with moulting. It's really pleasant temperature now though, I'll see how he goes for the next couple of hours when he should be lively.... I'm going foraging for him in case he prefers grass etc to cabbage. He has lost 0.1kg too but I'm not sure how long over, maybe 10 months so it may not be at all significant.

Don't worry about the weight loss. Mr B lost 200 grams in a week but put it back on quickly, actually he is looking rather a bit too portly. :oops:

Hope he is better in the cool, its still really humid and hot here.

Don't worry about the weight loss. Mr B lost 200 grams in a week but put it back on quickly, actually he is looking rather a bit too portly. :oops:

Hope he is better in the cool, its still really humid and hot here.

:love: Thanks for your support.

I have a very bright, cheeky Elijah today. He's eaten all the food he was given last night bar a few cabbage stumps (he was given normal ration of cabbage plus twice that amount of fresh forage) so he ate really well. Today instead of sitting looking subdued he came and pushed his face through the bars with his mouth moving rapidly, anticipating a treat being popped into his mouth. :D He's definately back to his cheeky self today :love:

Back