• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cool Gel Mats

RogerRabbit999

Mama Doe
Just wanted to let everyone know as this hot weather looks set to continue, and with bunnies getting hot and grumpy, I ordered a Cool Gel Mat of Ebay for £7.49 with free P&P. There are loads available and can be used for either people struggling to sleep at night because of being too hot, or for pets to lay on. Plenty big enough for bunnies stretched right out and after 20mins of Dipsy and Pippa squabbling over who gets to lay on it, they have now used some bunnysense and are flat out side by side. Will upload pics later but didn't want to disturb them.

It is fantastic and very cool to touch. Lasts for years, and easy wipe clean surface. I only ordered one in case it was rubbish, but have just placed an order for another 4 so that buns have got one each. Express delivery is also available. Just thought I'd pass this on, especially for people with poorly bunnies and for bunnies refusing to lie up against anything frozen, as I guess if your bunny is really struggling with the heat, you could always put the mat somewhere where your bun has got to lay on it. I'm sure when they are laid out though, and feeling much cooler they will be happy to lay on it themselves.

That sounds great! Are you able to provide a link, or if that's not allowed maybe you could PM me? I've searched but not sure I'm finding the right thing! I'm a bit if an eBay novice :oops:

I don't know how to do links, but if you go on ebay and do a search for Cool Gel Pads, that will take you to them. My supplier was Hajibaba, and if you order before 2pm they will be dispatched the same day. I ordered mine on Friday and it came at lunchtime today. No P&P, £7.49 and just wipe clean.

Dipsy and Pippa had been breathing really fast, but their breathing is looking more normal now, so they must be feeling cooler. It is big enough for my French Lop to lay on as well, as thought I might have to get him 2, and put them side by side.

You can't freeze them but you can put in fridge for up to 2 hrs to get super cool. Apparently they work by dissipating heat from whatever is placed on them that is hot. It's weird, I've just carefully felt under Pippa to see if it is getting warm with her laying on it, but it isn't at all and she seems much more comfortable. Such an idiot :roll: wish I'd just ordered 5 in the first place, but they just seemed to cheap and thought they were going to be rubbish.

Oh wow you can get bed sized ones! I'm going to get one for Poppy:) even if its cool in the bedroom she loooves lying on things like this :D

Oh wow you can get bed sized ones! I'm going to get one for Poppy:) even if its cool in the bedroom she loooves lying on things like this :D

Can't believe I didn't think of these before, but yes you can get really big ones for your bed. They seem to stay cool indefinitely, must be the gel. Oh well, even if the weather changes at least I will have them for any more hot spells, and they keep apparently, and so can be packed away for next year.

What if they chew it? I have something that sounds similar but Smudge will insist on nibbling the edges. :roll:

What if they chew it? I have something that sounds similar but Smudge will insist on nibbling the edges. :roll:

I asked that question and was told that the gel is completely harmless to them, but that if you think chewing might be a problem, put some newspaper on top of them first, or something like a thin cotton pillowcase.

I asked that question and was told that the gel is completely harmless to them, but that if you think chewing might be a problem, put some newspaper on top of them first, or something like a thin cotton pillowcase.

Thats good to know. I might get some more then, they seem to much prefer those to icepods, think icepods are TOO cold and wet for them.

Thats good to know. I might get some more then, they seem to much prefer those to icepods, think icepods are TOO cold and wet for them.

I think you are totally right there and very hard, whereas these are just a very cool, soft mat that is very comfy to lie on. I also haven't had any joy with frozen bottles, and they won't go anywhere near them :roll:

Back