• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hope Ive used the Rearguard properly

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
First year I had rabbits I bought a type of rearguard from the vets and it was like a sponge top thingy bit like those bingo pens. You just dabbed the bunnys bum with it.

Never used anything for years but this year with the weather so up and down and Twinkle having been ill earlier in the year Ive bought rearguard at P@h today. 9 pumps per bunny but is a spray and you spray it from their tail up their backs?? So Ive do this so hoping it works,

I now have 3 soggy rabbits who just wanted to lick it off:evil: so I've given them tea early to take their minds off it.

I thought I would have to spray it on their 'bits and pieces' not up their backs?

I have the one from the vets, with the sponge thing, and for that I had to dab it on their bum and above their tails:wave:

I started a thread about this earlier in the year as my vet gave me rearguard for Pepper who had eaten something that had given her a bit of a mucky bot. I did her and her sister Pip. They did not thank me for it, both were very cheesed off for some time. I found it hard to use with the dabby sponge thing and so hope that I did it enough now that it has got so hot and there are flies about!! The one I had said to do it up their backs and around their bum so think you did it right. Mine tried to lick it off too, but they had no ill effects from it later and both are a bit prone to funny tummies!

I started a thread about this earlier in the year as my vet gave me rearguard for Pepper who had eaten something that had given her a bit of a mucky bot. I did her and her sister Pip. They did not thank me for it, both were very cheesed off for some time. I found it hard to use with the dabby sponge thing and so hope that I did it enough now that it has got so hot and there are flies about!! The one I had said to do it up their backs and around their bum so think you did it right. Mine tried to lick it off too, but they had no ill effects from it later and both are a bit prone to funny tummies!

Thank you, I was concerned that they would lick it all off. They seem fine at the moment. I remember the dabby bottle one saying on it that rabbits could go off their food with it, which cant be a good idea.

Back