• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ceramic tile

Sorry if this thread is rather stupid :oops:

Have just found a spare ceramic tile lying outside in the sun. I wanted to use it in the hutch so the piggies could lie on it to keep cool but it's red hot?!
How does this work? Anyone know where to get tiles from that keep cool for rabbits/guineas to lie on?

Thanks x

I keep mine in the shade and that keeps them cool, but you can always stick it in the fridge/freezer for a bit :)

They just absorb and release heat more slowly. So if they sit in the sun they will slowly heat up and stay warm overnight. In the shade they will stay cool for longer.

Maybe also a stupid question, but could you heat it up in the winter for bunny central heating? :oops:

ETA re-reading that it sounds like I thought the original question was stupid, i didn't!

I put them in the freezer. Will wont go near them so I put them under his digging box which he has taken to flopping in whilst its so hot.

Maybe also a stupid question, but could you heat it up in the winter for bunny central heating? :oops:

ETA re-reading that it sounds like I thought the original question was stupid, i didn't!

You could but they won't last very long when there's a very large temperature difference. Obviously you'd have to be sure they don't get too hot either.

Back